Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best GPS software?

I am thinking about getting a Magellna SporTrak Map and I was wondering what software would go good with this device. I think the GPS only has 4mb of memory, so I'd like to use the cable to connect it to my Palm so I can have hi-res maps and the like.

This is the GPS reciever

Best GPS software?

First, you need to get a Palm cable. The supplied cable works with a PC serial port only. Second, you don't even need this particular unit if you're going to use it with a Palm and mapping software like HandMap. You can buy the least expensive GPS that will communicate via NEMA standards to a serial port. The whole idea with this receiver is that it has base maps that are about equivalent to most Palm mapping programs and 6 mb will hold a lot of maps. You'll also find that using a PDA isn't very practical for walking because the batteries in your Palm will run down far quicker than the GPS. Using it in the car if you have a power adapter would work but you're really not gaining anything except possibly color maps at the expense of an extra cable and two pieces of hardware to make work right. I'd just get the GPS and see how satified you are with base maps that are available and then think about how you'd want to use it with your Palm.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Best GPS software?

Yeah, after looking, I think I am more interested in getting a better GPS unit rather than hooking it to my palm.

I am thinking about the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Anyone had any experience with it?

Best GPS software?

Ok, I ordered the GPSMAP 60CS. I think I am going to get into Geocaching while on vaction this weekend.

Anyone know if there are free Topographical and city maps, or do I have to spend $200 on those form Garmin, after I spent $400 on their GPS, which only comes with base maps (what a rip off).

Best GPS software?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information