Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

That's it...I'm ready for movies!!

Right now i'm 24.0 KBs the highest ever was 26.2 and that was only about 10 times so sad !!!!!!!!

Hiya- some were unsure what codecs meant so-
    FYI There are 2 types of codecs.
    1. Lossy
    2. Losless

1. Lossy codecs compress the video AND cut information therefore quality is lost, however you can get TINY file sizes. An audio comparison is .WAV and .MP3 WAV is 10 times the size of MP3 however MP3 is lossy so quality is lost. However depending on the bit rate you encode at you can get quality that the human ear can't tell apart from the orginal wav- but with files a 10th of the size.!! It's compressed and information the human ear can't hear is removed.

2. Lossless compress the video to make the file smaller however no information is actually got rid of so there is NO loss of quality just smaller file sizes. However as you can imagine these files are still much bigger than the ones encoded with a lossy codec.

iiicRuled

Is there some keyword that will let one differentiate which content is Kinoma-playable? I've tried many searches on my P2P client with different keywords, to no avail. WinMX currently is a PC only operation, so as a Mac guy I'm S.O.L. ClieFLIX was so cool. They had this library of downloadables and updated it and all was good with the world. But times have changed.

SoS: You know, my GF just got a new tablet PC with the wireless keyboard, and I was playing around with it...I have to admit that it's kinda cool. I found myself wishing Apple made such a device. Or that I could run Mac OS on it. The burdens we must carry.

As for Palm OS 6, we'll just have to see. It doesn't appear that the next hardware release will carry it (see this thread.) Sincerely I hope that we'll be able to upgrade to OS 6 when it comes out as I'm planning on getting the T|3 and I'd like to keep it for a while.

I guess time will tell.
    POL9A

Just type in Kinoma or Palm in the search box. The ones I share are labled either Kinoma or Teal. If someone has Kinoma movies I'm sure they have them listed as such.

That's actually a good question. I'd never thought of that, I just assumed that I was the last person on Earth to get DSL (except for my mom's who could really care less.)

Well, iiicrules, the good news is that your movie will be a mercifully small file size.

So, you could download it, convert it, and then upload it right before you take your 4-week paid vacation to Thailand and by the time you get back it'll just be finishing uploading.

See, I'm looking out for you.

POL9A, back to normalcy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think.

What info can y'all share with me regarding movie players for the TT? Do I need any particular amount of space on the handheld's memory? Will it run from the card (128MB SD)? Do I need a bigger card? (Please say yes. My girlfriend needs the equivalent of a doctor's note for me to buy that 512MB Lexar card I've been eyeing. ) Do I need a converter to make my own movies Palm-compatible? Are there movies/TV shows out there that I can download? It'd be nice to download the latest "Simpsons" in case I miss it and watch it later on my TT.

Is the speaker on the TT good enough for video playback or should I just use the headset jack with my headphones?

Are the video players like e-book readers in that only some e-books are available for certain readers, are only some videos available for certain video players?

I tried a search and only just got enough info for me to ask the ??'s.

Thanks in advance.

POL9A

I don't really understand this exactly. But I think you're saying "How are you going to upload the file to the net, and I have a 56K modem which runs at 19.2KBs". Hmmmmm.

Please can we DO SOME MATHS HERE!
    How am I gonna put it on the net? By UPLOADING it. Or e-mailing it to PrideOfLions who very kindly said he'll put it in his webspace. 56K modems do allow you to upload y'know, even if it'll take me half an hour to send the 5MBish file.
    19.2Kbs is not possible. 56K modems deliver a maximum of 56Kilobits per second. 8 bit in a byte, so therefore 56/8=7. In other words the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM download speed on a 56K modem, is 7Kilobytes per second. In reality this is around 4-5.
    Yes, there is compression that some downloads/browsers use, but that doesn't mean you transfer more then 7Kilobytes a second. It's just 7Kilobytes of compressed data which when upcompressed may equate to more. In the case of codecs, the files are usually just about as compressed as is possible.
    The reason you may see higher rates when downloading, is that part of the file may have already been downloaded, and the downloading bar just catches up, instead of jumping to the real % that it is at. This happens when you've started and cancelled a download before, if the partially downloaded file is still there, and it also happens becuase while you locate a folder to put the download in, the file can begin downloading in the background.....

Anyway, 6Mb down, 20 to go!
    iiicRuled

I'm using Kinoma Player. I converted a few short movies w/ sound taken with my Olympus digital camera using Kinoma Producer.

I also converted Van Halen's music video "Dreams - Blue Angels" which lasts 4 minutes 53 seconds and takes 24.1 MB on my SD card. It plays beautifully and sounds great! ... BUT, the Real Video file of the same thing is only 2.86 MB! Obviously, better compression would be good. I'm hoping the MP3 player for the TT that will be released soon by Real will allow Real Video files to be played. That would allow entire movies to fit on the SD cards.

I had also tried TealMovie and it was OK, too, but their support never got back to me with a problem I encountered with compressed sound, so after the trial period expired, I deleted it.

The speaker in the TT is just OK. Music and sound it much better using headphones plugged into the TT's stereo phone jack.

OldBlue

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pride of Lions- I don't know if you are looking for Kinoma player because I haven't read the entire thread due to it's length!! But if you are here is the link:

http://www.kinoma.com/

The website has both the player for the TT (free) and the converter (there is a version for PC or MAC) (however only a trial you have to pay for the full version..)

iiicRuled

iiicRules: Bless you, Citizen! I've been really displaced even since the word "codec" was introduced to me. Now it all comes together.

So, what does one need to introduce to one's conversion software such that we get these smaller file sizes we've been clamoring for? Do we tell Kinoma to get-with-it and exhibit a new version (for free download, of course) of their Producer that has these miracle codecs? Or can we (as normal individuals) kind of pre-convert our files with these water-to-wine codecs before sending them to Kinoma Producer? Or, is there another conversion software altogether that has these give-a-man-a-fish-feed-him-for-a-day, teach-him-to-fish-feed-him-for life marvelous lossy/losless thingymabob's?

The skies are parting. The fog is lifting. Smaller file sizes are within our grasp.
    POL9A

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information