Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do some conservatives call liberals anti-religious for attempting to remove...

..."Under God" from the Pledge? I know there are many reasons that conservatives call liberals anti-religious or even sometimes call them anti-christianity. But why is this one?

The pledge, traditionally, did not use the words "Under God." and had those words been in the pledge it originally it is unclear how our founders, especially Jefferson and Adams, would have reacted to it. I also recognize, for the record, they weren't around to see it become the official pledge of the nation either and therefore their reaction to it without those two words is unclear."Under God" wasn't even put in the pledge of alliegance until 1954.

And if we start going into the fact that they were "congressionally approved" then we open up all sorts of political debates and it can also be argued that it isn't wrong to challenge congressionally approved acts.

So what is the issue? Perhaps Liberals are just traditionalists masquarading as agents of change?
    @Shovel Ready- Nice straw-man but it has nothing to do with my question which you have failed to answer. I simpled asked why conservatives use this to call Liberals anti-religious. I never said anything about the morality of it. That's a whole other argument.

Clearly, Alex can't read. --- Now the coward deleted his answer.

@libsticker - so, supporting the Constitution is somehow anti-religious to you?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps they could compromise like the original founders did by using the word 'creator' - which definitely doesn't necessarily mean a god. "under our creator" doesn't flow very well, but so what?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because some conservatives are intent on trying to impose religion on everyone through the mechanism of government. Anyone who opposes their efforts is attacked and labeled as anti-religious, regardless of whether those persons are themselves religious.

Because it is apparent that is what they are doing, otherwise, why not leave it alone, you couple that with the liberals trying to find a new National Anthem, taking prayer out of school, can't put up the 10 commandments anywhere in public, and you can see a very clear picture of what the liberals intent is, no matter how hard they try to "mask" it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm. I didn't know that the pledge was ever altered. I just assumed it is how it originally written. Apparently it has been changed four times so why not change it again?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They don't research facts, they must also know that before WW2, that our pledge stance was the same as the Nazi salute.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alex thinks "always" means 1954 on up.

Alex: u who can't read. Or won't.

Pledge written: 1892

"under god" added: 1954

That's not "always" so don't rewrite history, thanks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alex thinks "always" means 1954 on up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information