Over the weekend, a picture of Michael Phelps smoking a bong was made public. What's the big deal? It's not like he's the first (or last) celeb to toke.
This morning on The View, Elisabeth Hasselbeck was all bent out of shape about Phelps' bong hit, giving the tired spiel about how he's a role model and he's setting a bad example, blah blah blah. She went on to claim that since he's willing to use illegal drugs to have a good time, maybe he's open to using illegal drugs to advance his career, as though weed is a gateway drug to steroids or something. Whoopi shot her down pretty quickly, and admitted to enjoying pot.
Elisabeth's argument was hinged on the fact that Phelps accepts money to endorse products. One of those is Rosetta Stone, the language-learning software, which is just about one of the most sedentary activities a stoner could enjoy, aside from watching The Wizard of Oz on mute while playing The Dark Side of the Moon. (I should know, since I've been using the program to learn Spanish.) His other sponsors, like Omega and Speedo, totally don't give a shit.
And they shouldn't, because it's silly—in my opinion, anyway—to pass judgment on those who take part in something as innocuous as smoking pot, which many believe is lot less harmful for one's body than alcohol. Besides, despite the fact that it's technically illegal, so many people smoke weed recreationally that it's not all that taboo. Here's a list of celebrities who have either been caught smoking marijuana, or admit willingly to doing so.
Woody Harrelson

Woody is an activist for the legalization of marijuana and hemp.
Willie Nelson

So is Willie Nelson.
Frances McDormand

Frances McDormand was on the cover of High Times in May 2003, in which she said, "I'm a recreational pot-smoker. There has never been enough of a distinction between marijuana and other drugs. It's a human rights issue, a censorship issue, and a choice issue."
Seth Rogen & James Franco

The pair stared in Pineapple Express together, and shared this maybe real/maybe fake joint on stage while presenting an award during the MTV Movie Awards last summer.
Cameron Diaz & Drew Barrymore

Also friends who share.
Justin Timberlake

Timberlake, who used to date Diaz, has been very open about how he smokes weed, sometimes even with is mother. He also admitted that he was stoned out of his mind when he was Punk'd by Ashton Kutcher.
Kimora Lee Simmons

Kimora Lee Simmons took one of the stoniest mugshots after she was arrested in 2004 for possession.
Nicole Richie

Nicole admitted to having smoked pot, as well as taking a Vicodin, when she was arrested for a DUI charge in 2007.
Paris Hilton

Nicole's buddy Paris' reefer madness has been well documented.
Michelle Phillips

Former singer from The Mamas & The Papas said as recently as 2001 that, "Marijuana should definitely be legalized. I think we should let everyone smoke it without fear of being thrown in jail. It's the greatest drug in the world!"
Snoop Dogg

Duh.
Redman

We'll be here all day if we start listing rappers.
Lil Wayne

But we'll mention Wayne for good measure.
Mariah Carey

Mariah is such a goody-two-shoes that she'd never publicly admit to marijuana use, but on her most recent album, she made plenty of weed references.
Charlize Theron

Academy Award winners like their weed, too.
AARP

In the summer of 2005, the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) hosted a smoke-in to promote the legalization of marijuana. Celebrities that participated: Willie Nelson, Woody Harrelson (obvs), Bette Midler, Santana, Chicago, David Crosby and Graham Nash, Rod Stewart, The New Jefferson Starship, Tony Orlando, Ringo Starr, Tommy Chong, Snoop Dogg, and Robert Downey Jr.
Matthew McConaughey

When McConaughey gets loose, he does so with bongos.
Dionne Warwick

Her work with Burt Bacharach was way too mellow to not be under the influence.
Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown

They've got "Something in Common."
Sarah Silverman

Sarah speaks favorably about weed in her act, and smoked with Doug Benson in his movie Super High Me.
Doug Benson

Comedian Doug Benson has centered much of his career around pot.
Oliver Stone

He has the perfect name for someone who's been busted for pot on numerous occasions.
Dawn Wells

Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island was arrested last year for possession.
Dave Chappelle

The Pointer Sisters

Oliver Hudson tells a story about his first concert-going experience, during which the Pointer Sisters were getting blazed.
Paul Dinello

It's hard to watch this Strangers With Candy clip about smoking pot without thinking that writer/actor Paul Dinello believes what he is saying.
Barbra Streisand

In a 1972 Rolling Stone interview, Babs said, "I'd take out a joint and light it. First, just faking it. Then I started lighting live joints, passing them around to the band, you know. I was great, it relieved all my tensions. And I ended up with the greatest supply of grass ever. Other acts up and down the Strip heard about what I was doing - Little Anthony and the Imperials, people like that - and started sending me the best dope in the world. I never ran out."

Phelps Backed by Sponsors After Marijuana Photo
[TCPalm]
Elisabeth Hasselbeck disses Michael Phelps; Whoopi Goldberg: 'I have smoked weed' [EW]

</img> </img> </img> </img>