Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What if classic Simpsons episodes were made today

Right and he did great work. He also had Mike Reiss helping him. He was also only on two seasons. I can't speak for anybody else but the reason I want him out as show-runner now is because he's simply been doing it too long. Six seasons is the longest run as a show-runner in the history of the show. It helped keep things fresh when they switched show-runners more often. If you notice, most of the old ones only did two seasons and there was a reason for that.

I point you to Mike Scully. His first two seasons were great. Seasons 9 and 10 are often included in the classic seasons. But almost all of us hate seasons 11 and 12. Quite frankly, he overstayed his welcome as show-runner. Things got stale, the writing went downhill.

Now look to seasons 13 and 14. While not classic seasons, they were a step up from what Scully was producing at the end of his run and it's not as bad as what we have today. However, by season 15 it was stale. It's been stale ever since. I didn't hate season 18 and this season is passable so far. But I really think it would be best if the show got a new perspective. Are we ever going to see classic episodes like the classic seasons again? No. There's just no way to do that anymore. The movie was an exception. The movie was, in my opinion, a lost episode from the classic seasons. As for the show? Not a chance. But the Simpsons still has life left in it to be an entertaining show. Maybe not the best show on television like it used to be but not abysmal like much of it is nowdays. What it needs is somebody to bring some new ideas to the table and somebody that will cut the crap. That's not Al Jean. Al Jean has been running the show too long to do that anymore. That's my problem with Al Jean.

Current episodes are steeped too much in cheap self parody to have worked back then. You'd have to majorly rewrite them to fill 22 minutes, since so much of the show now is mocking their own continuity and fanbase.

I really don't think it would've happened. Modern episodes would've been too edgy for that time. Remember, even Season 1, which is really tame by today's standards, caused quite an uproar. Furthermore, if they'd made all these inferior episodes first, I don't know if the show would've been popular enough to make it to the good ones.

Hellcat also raises an excellent point, that I was also thinking. All those self-referential jokes, not to mention a good number of the current plots, wouldn't have made sense then (I'm also thinking about modern pop culture references, and all those celebrity guest stars who were unheard of back then). They'd have to be re-written so extensively that it wouldn't really be the same anyway.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Having relooked at season 14, I take that back. I'm remembering why I used to say season 14 was the season the show died on. But 13 was still ok. I guess Jean overstayed his welcome in record time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't fit the first season, maybe not the second, as part of the 'classic' golden age IMO. The first season was filled with pedestrian plots cluttered by too many real world concern of the family always being on the edge of bankruptcy and always struggling to make ends meet. I find it more fun when Homer just offhandly remarks he's been fired (AGAIN) or something and they move on to the plot of the episode. Those early eps would really suck today.

IMO, I think the 2nd season is definitely apart of the "classic era". It's pretty underrated, I think. It has some really fantastic episodes, like "Lisa's Subsitute" and "Three Men and a Comic Book".

It's been so long since I saw those eps it's sometime difficult for me to remember which seasons they were from ^^; so you make good points.

Season 1 though I still hate seeing those old eps in rerun. Plus the animation is painful to watch ><

On a side note I wonder what kind of typo I made that caused the word 'fit' to end up censored oO

Yeah, season one is kind of poor...even though I did enjoy that episode where Bart went to France..."Crepes of Wrath", I think it was called.

I find season 1 underappreciated. Sure, the show was still finding its footing, but I think it has genuine charm. I can still go back and enjoy those episodes far more then I could anything in the last few years. The show's humbleness and desire to play it safe is nice after having to put up with "We'll say what we like and if you disagree, we'll just make jokes about you with a character who was originally intended for something else (Comic Book Guy)"

Personally I enjoy the first season, although I admit that it's not at the same level as the ones that followed. The only reason I even mentioned it though, is because I was trying to point out that even the tamest episodes in the show's history were considered shocking when they first came out-- if some of the modern-day racier episodes were created then, the show would've been even controversial, and I don't think anybody, even the makers of the Simpsons, were actually interested in being that edgy then (of course, it's not really that 'edgy' anyway).

EDIT:
    Once again, I agree with you, Hellcat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information