Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

some looney tunes concerns

Did the late Mel Blanc voice every single male character in Looney Tunes, even the humans?

With its bad rep for excessive violence, didn't Looney Tunes get in trouble with the SCPA for the abuse Sylvester and co. sustained. With someny evil humans hurting the poor cat, they would've been in jail. Also, some humans were faceless, their feet only shown. Low blow. If I were Sylvester, I'd claw them in the leg and report them to the police (anything is possible in a cartoon) for brutality.

hmm.. I think someone else might've dene Elmer Fudd and possibly Yosemeite (sp?) Sam.. but I don't remember the names..

as for Sylvester.. wouldn't Hanna Barbera and MGM been also for sued for Abusing Tom?

I'm not certain, but I think Mel did all the main charcters.

And it wasn't the SPCA about Sylvester, rather something like "Mothers Against tv Violence. Anything with an explosion or shovel in the face usually got cut.

As talented as Mel Blanc is, he didn't voice every LT character. Arthur Q. Bryan voiced Elmer Fudd up until 1960 (when Hal Smith replaced him for a couple shorts), and Daws Butler, Stan Freberg, June Foray, Bea Benaderet, Tom Holland, Billy Bletcher, and others voiced miscellaneous characters. It should also be noted that Blanc wasn't the first voice of Porky Pig; he was initally voiced by Joe Dougherty until 1937. Most of the time these others were uncredited, but eventually additional VAs were listed in the credits.

Also, due to Blanc's age in the '80s, he stopped voicing characters which were hard on his voice, such as Yosemite Sam. He passed that voice, and a couple others, onto other VAs like Joe Alaskey.

Arthur Q. Bryan was the original Elmer. Though uncredited, there were some later shorts that employed the likes of Stan Freberg (3 Little Bops), Vincent Price (Water, Water, Every Hare), and Frank Nelson.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is just a cartoon. I don't think that people cared.

As Speedy pointed out, some notable non-Mel voices at Warners included:

- Arthur Q. Bryan (Elmer Fudd, as well as a few other miscellaneous voices here and there)
    - Stan Freberg (Pete Puma, Bertie, Junyer Bear, Tosh, the Gambling Bug, etc.)
    - June Foray (Witch Hazel, Alice Crumden, Mrs. Yosemite Sam, Granny post-1958, etc.)
    - Daws Butler (Ralph Crumden, Nasty Canasta post-1956, etc.)
    - Bea Benaderet (Granny pre-1958)
    - Billy Bletcher (Henry Bear, Steve Brody, etc.)
    - Robert C. Bruce (usually heard as the narrator in Tex Avery's mock travelogues)

And some voices were even provided by studio personnel - writer Tedd Pierce was known for his Bud Abbot impression, animator Dick Bickenbach did an excellent Bing Crosby voice, and background artist Paul Julian provided the familiar "meep meep" of the Road Runner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information