Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Black Panther (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Ignoring the blatantly ignorant comments (Marvel still has the final sayso as how the character will be adapted, plus, the president of entertainment as well as the president of animation at the network [isn't it still Denys Cowan?]), I'm pleasantly surprised that BET greenlit a Black Panther animated series. It's about time Marvel's first major Black character got an animated series of his own, and considering the players behind the scenes actually know what the character is (and isn't) about, I think it's in good hands. BET actually has a lot of action-oriented animation properties coming soon, including the aforementioned Hannibal as well as a sci-fi actioner produced by Will Smith.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be the first time in a long time that Marvel animated series outnumber DC titles (Spectacular Spider-Man's on the air right now, and Wolverine and the X-Men, Iron Man, and now Black Panther will follow in 1Q 2009 vs. Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the lone DC series with new episodes on the air)?

BTW, for the ones who "didn't know," BET is essentially a more urban-oriented version of MTV with religious programming on Sundays. Man, I knew Marvel and Viacom were close nowadays, but I didn't realize they were THIS close to bring all their new animated series to the Viacom networks (Nicktoons and BET).

From my report on the Black Panel at NYCC:

I picked Denys Cowan's brains for everything I could about the show, and will follow-up with him next week for any more details he can give about Black Panther (and BUFU and Hannibal, though they ain't Marvel characters).

I don't like Hudlin's current take on the Black Panther. I think it has some interesting ideas that are poorly executed. With that in mind, I have some reservations regarding the series.

Of course, it's pointless of me to complain and act like the sky is falling because a character I like had an animated show greenlit for prime time.

Here's hoping for the best.

Stalker was African human mutate - human hunter until he met black panther, which could've been a reference to The Black Panther.
    When I read these news from www.superherohype.com, people there started wondering what happened with Wesley Snipes doing a movie about him (he has wanted to do this since June 1992, you can read more about it on Wikipedia). In previous appearances The Black Panther has been voiced by Keith David (Fantastic 4 1994), Jeffrey D. Sams (Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise Of The Panther) & Phil LaMarr (Marvel Ultimate Alliance). I think when the opening gets closer, we're going to get another retrospective (I was surprised to find out, that The Black Panther appeared first time in 1966.

Glad to hear that they are utilizing Romita Jr's designs as this should be a lot of fun to see animated and JR JR is easily someone that would be inducted into the comic artist hall of fame (if there were one).

Somewhat disappointed to hear that it will only be 8 episodes of the series, but I wonder if these will be half hour episodes or if they would be a full hour - which could explain the episode range.

Looking forward to the first designs being leaked.....

-Joe!

"This is the kind of super cool stuff we'll be doing at BET!"

I'm not really a Black Panther fan, but this is interesting news, good news for fans of the character. It's only too bad that it will air on BET, a station that isn't watched by vast majority of people (Heck, I can't even tell you what number BET is on my DirecTV!). It will probably do about as well as Mainframe's Spider Man series did on MTV.

Can anyone clue me on BET? What it is shortening to? Who owns it? What country is it in?
    Thank You

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information