Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

South Park episodes that use minimal pop culture, hot topics or celeb references

Basicly you put down the SP episodes that doesn't rely on pop culture to make a full 22 min ep. I'll start:

Casa Bonita
    Pre-School
    Quest for Ratings
    Cartman's Incredible Gift
    Woodland Critter Christmas
    The Losing Edge
    The Death of Eric Cartman
    Marjorine
    Ginger Kids
    Free Willzyx
    Imagination Land
    The List
    Breast Cancer Show Ever
    200/201 (i think)

RULES:

If you need to correct someone please be polite about it and no arguments please.

Mild, brief pop culture references are okay as long as they are not the main part of the episode.

Thank You.

South Park episodes that use minimal pop culture, hot topics or celeb references

What about "Scott Tenorman Must Die."

Yes that too, I started from season 8 since most of the old eps. didnt focus on pop culture that much.

Isn't "Imagination Land" all about pop culture references? XD;

I hadn't seen "Fat Camp" in years until I saw it last night. It's just Cartman at a fat camp and Kenny doing disgusting things for money. That's it. It's not trying to be a parody of anything specific, it's not taking one joke and draining it dry for a half hour, it's not taking something minor and turning it into something insane and dramatic and it's not a whole episode of Trey Parker attacking something he doesn't like. And it works, even after all this time. The humor is in what the characters say and do, not "haha take that Jersey Shore".

The funny thing is that it wasn't so bad when South Park used to do this stuff, because it was timely and they used to space it out among "kids being kids" type episodes. But it seems like now this is all they do. And the sad part is that the internet and the spread of communication is so insanely fast that South Park is usually late to the party even when they're doing something topical. Yeah, Jersey Shore is stupid. Thanks, that's been pretty well established.

Cutting and pasting afro's list and adding a few others...these are some of the very best South Park episodes...

Casa Bonita
    Pre-School
    Quest for Ratings
    Cartman's Incredible Gift
    The Losing Edge
    The Death of Eric Cartman
    Marjorine
    Ginger Kids
    Free Willzyx
    The List
    Scott Tenorman Must Die
    Asspen
    Professor Chaos
    Raisins
    Awesome-o

What do they have in common? They're original stories and just take the kids and allow their personalities to play off each other. These episodes do more than think they can parody something recent in the belief that people are going to drop to their knees and praise the show for tackling something topical.

And Imagination Land in no way, shape or form should have been three episodes. That's just lazy. Once you get past the "I wow I know that character" response you get very little aside from old episode references and an awful Kyle vs Cartman story that was dragged out for three weeks. But as bad as that was Pandemic was even worse.

Helen Keller The Musical

Wasn't Imaginatinland nominated for an Emmy? Which ever episodes won Emmy's (I believe 2) were pretty original in their own right.

Most of Season 1 and 2. and Season 3. The Pop culture/Social Propaganda began heavily on Season 4.

Yes but not current pop culture references i.e. current when the episode first aired.

Awesome-o is a parody of ASIMO which was big in '04 and although it was an excellent episode (like all of season 8) it had a lot of Adam Sandler references in it.

Imaginationland was going to be the 2nd SP movie but M&T decided to make it a 3-parter and i quite enjoyed that episode. But pandemic part 2 sucked.

With the episode Quintuplets.

Mod Edit: Please don't double post. Use the edit button instead. Thank you.

I would also count "Butters Bottom B*tch" as that only had a minor refrence to the Acorn Hotel incident from last year in like one scene. The rest was majorly just about prositution which isn't really a new issue at all. And the subplot (about officer Yates dressing up as a whore and having sex with men and then arresting them afterward) a gag Matt and Trey wanted to do for years but never got the chance to until then. That's probably the only episode since season 12's "Breast Cancer Show Ever" and "Super Fun Time" to have an epiosde majorly dedicated to something outside of celeberties, pop culture and specific hot topics of the time of that epsiode's production. You can't count stuff Like "200" since a big part of that was ABOUT celeberties.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information