Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a car under the pretext that the man would fix it for me, 4 months

still no car? help!? My mother's employee's husband fixed our cars on the cheap for us out of his garage that he used as a machanic shop We knew he took a while on fixing things but he always gave us a great deal so we trusted him. At the begining of summer he sold me a car from one of his clients for 1,000 and then said he'd need 950 to fix the transmission in about a week. I paid the owner of the car and got the title but its now been 4 months and the man I paid to fix the car has still not fixed it. Ive called him and gone to see him and he wont answer or isnt home. Last we talked he told me since he wasnt making any more money off the car and couldnt figure out how to fix it he wasnt going to work on it anymore, "until he had time". I went to visit it this weekend and the car had no battery no hood and no front wheels. What are my legal options as far as getting the car or my money back. I honestly dont want the car back anymore since I had to buy a moped (which I hate driving) in order to get around after 3 months without a car. The title is not in my name, and I have the reciepts for what I paid him, my mother is also a vitness to our verbal agreement that he would fix the car for 950$. Please help me. Thanks so much!
    I'd really appreciate it if those of you who have nasty or sarcastic remarks would keep them to yourself. I didnt ask for people to be mean to me, I asked for help. I'm 19 so excuse me if I made a bad choice and am trying to correct it responsibly. Thanks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are really kind of at his mercy on this.

Id say just keep bugging him until it becomes easier for him to fix the car or give you the money back then to continue to deal with you.

Ideally, you should have gotten something in writing.

But lets assume you can win in court anyway and with your mom, you might.

It will cost you probably $65-125 to file suit. Then, if you win, and really, your chances are decent. And if he fails to show up, you win by default.

Great. You spent $65-125 and you "won".

How will you collect ?

See what Im getting at ? You might win, but you really lose more money for the court costs.

IF you won, you would probably win the $950 plus the filing fee. Lets say $85.

You have a judgment for $1035. How will you collect ?

You are kind of right back where you are now...you basically have nothing but your relationship with the guy and your hope that he feels bad for taking your money and not repairing your car.

My dad once paid a guy about $2000 to rebuild his transmission. Guy took the money, kept the car 2 weeks and couldn't fix it. He ended up giving the $2000 back. But if he hadn't, my dad would have been right where you are.

The right to sue isn't so great when you realize it costs money and even if you win, it doesn't mean the guy hands you money.

I would try to continue to buy him. Work the guilt angle.

Send a certified letter if you cant contact him. might or might not scare him.

Finally, consider hiring a cop or a bouncer type to try and intimidate him into paying.

You cant have the guy touched or beat up, but it could scare him into paying.

Or not.

Good luck.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    an expensive lesson

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information