(I am a very nice, guy but I am very shy) I can't explain how or what I feel for this girl. I've talked to her every couple of days for a year and a half and I've had a crush on her since I've met her. She's changed my life. I've lost weight, my hygiene is better, I am a healthier person all around. Once I wanted to ask her out guess what? She has a boyfriend. My heart was crushed into the bottom of the ocean. (I speculated many scenarios and dream all the time, not in the creepy stalkerish way. I am not like that.) I called her anyway pretending I didn't know if she had one or not just to see her answer about going out. She was so nice about declining. The next day I wrote her a letter CONFESSING EVERYTHING! It was 3 paragraphs long and had compliments, reasoning, and I told her I dream about her everyday. (which IS true) Apparently my friends think I have big balls for doing something like that. She responded so positive about it I almost cried with joy. (I am a very emotional guy, but not like a cheer leader or a homosexual, no offence) She said she would call me if they broke up. But let's get to the questions now.

How likely is it that she will keep her word? I try to be as nice as another human could be to another human when I talk to her. Friends say it's unlikely because I am homeschooled and she goes to public school and the very low amount of real contact is a huge disadvantage.

Was confessing a good idea? People say it's selfish, but I don't know how or why.

Teenage love is so difficult ;( please give anymore advice, ANYTHING YOU HAVE!

PS: I am not acting like I have PMS (some other guy said earlier)
and I don't care about the boyfriend may do to me, I can defend myself, I know how.