So I bought the LOTR EE BD's and I was perplexed by the fact that the movies themselves were put onto two separate disks. I don't remember reading this in any of the reviews on Amazon, and I would have assumed this would have been a major upset to many people.
My question is, on these Blu-Ray disks, which should hold a minimum of 25GB cant hold a movie that I can find online, in 1080p at a maximum file size of 12GB? Even if those don't have the extra 30 minutes, four audio commentaries can't be that much, a gigabyte at the most, and the "Easter egg" of the Two Towers trailer I found on the second FOTR disk can't cause the movie to be split. This isn't the Titanic VHS, this is the 21st century.

I doubt I will be returning this, even though I should have thought before I bought it that with The Hobbit coming out there will eventually be an ULTIMATE collection or something that I will buy if the movies are on one reasonable disk.
My question is why can't they fit a file that I can find at around 12GB onto a Blu-Ray disk that can hold 25-50GB?