i have a 1996 3.8 v6 camaro. i was looking around at the v6 camaro forums and found some guys talking about rear mount turbos. they werent in disapproval of them, they were supporting the idea.

after searching around for info on rear mounted turbos, i found diy sites claiming it can be done generically for under a grand, so then i thought that it was all bs. further searching found shows that rear mounts are actually legit. also, the pros seem to outweigh the cons for me. the good things are:1. there is more room under the car than in the engine bay. 2. because of the long tubing from turbo to throttle body, the air charge is allowed to cool to a temp where an intercooler is not necessary for low boost applications. 3. the turbo can cool better than in the engine bay. the cons are: 1. custom fabrication is needed. 2. the turbo takes in air at the back of the car at ground level (water?!?!) 3. obviously the turbo can get struck by the ground or wet. 4. oil line issues 5. heavy turbo lag (which i really dont care about, since i want the car to be easy to drive under most normal circumstances and be able to haul a$$ when you want to, which is a feature it does pretty well already for being a six)

i would only want some 4 psi from it, do you think that a healthy 3.8 automatic drivetran would be able to handle this low amount of boost? obviously the turbo's oil would need to be addressed and it would need bigger injectors. the ecu would need reprogrammng right? or would it magically compensate for the increased airflow by itself (i doubt it)? my car has a magnaflow muffler (muffler only) and a otherwise stock exhaust. could i still use the muffler? would a custom exhaust tube be necessary?

so basically i am asking:

1. what kind of cost range would this be?

2. how much of this could a backyard mchanic do themselves?

3. would the turbo be safe of a rainy day?

4. could a fully healthy, stock drivetrain handle around 4 psi from this?

5. is this worth looking further into?

im not about to start doing anything with the car anytime soon. im just feeling out what the options are.

finally, no im not going to buy a v8 car. for insurance reasons, gas reasons, my sixxer is in perfect shape, has tastefull aftermarket rims on, and an awesome, well done stereo. i also think that the experience gained will be usefull later in life working on cars.

i have seen the universal turbos that STS makes and they look interesting... here is the link: http://ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_syst...

does this look like it can be made to work on a stock 3.8 camaro with low boost?

thanks for reading this long question