Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Prison in Norway

i didn't say we should treat them like animals. I said we should treat them like they have a debt to society and give them a job that helps pass the time while they're waiting to get out.

i've got some big rocks in my yard that could use breaking.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

are you really this simple? comparing crime statistics between two countries is generally asinine because of numerous factors including but not limited to, the availability of police, crimes actually reported, the availability of people to report said crimes, etc.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

good boy

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

no.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quit being a nitpicking hack 7960.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Who the fuck are we as Americans to judge any other society on this Earth about incarceration and criminality?

We have one of the highest incarceration rates per capita on this planet, we have one of the highest criminal populations per capita on this planet and our society has one of the highest execution rates per capita on this planet.

Face it. If you drive or if you merely surf the internet on a regular basis, it is almost impossible to live your life for a single day without breaking some sort of law.

I myself broke the sodomy laws in the State of Florida at least a thousand times when I was married before my state changed the definition of that. (What can I say? I

I do agree with the sentiment that treating people like animals is never going to win. It's incredibly short sighted, imo.

Having said that, it's also problematic to compare Norway to the US for a nuraber of reasons. Problematic to the point of pointless. The main problem in the US is too many people are in jail for victimless crimes, or instead of other solutions.

I really don't know anything about Norway's legal system, but they presumably are doing what seems to work best for them. If not, they can vote in changes...probably much more easily with a population of only 5 million. The vast majority of which are of the same ethnic and cultural background.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're really going to argue that 2008 isn't current?

BTMF

Population of NYC (2010 census):
    Population of Norway:

To say, 'Oh look how great Norway is .... America SUCK IT!' kind of misses the point.
    Norway has about half the population of our largest city. The entire population of the country is a bit less then the runner up city (LA has 3.something million peeps)

This isn't to say that there are not problems with our judicial system. There are. Oh yes sir, there are. And let me tell you, those problems are awful and need to be fixed.

But it does say that to look at the solutions of a rather small country and ASSUME that they would scale up to our neeRAB is kind of nutty. We are not a little larger then Norway. We are an elephant to a cat.

If we want to fix our problems with our prisons we should not be starting at luxury accommodations. If we end there, we end there. I am quite cool with ending there. But we don't start there.

We start with overcrowding and redefining what exactly is worthy a prison sentence vs. parole vs. home confinement and how long things are worth. I say we start at drug convictions. We need to think really, really hard about if it is worth keeping someone behind bars for 15 years for selling acid or cocaine.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why don't y'all just come out and say it. Low educated and impoverished " minorities " make up the bulk of the people in jail. Norway doesn't have minorities in the sense that we do or Japan .

Am I saying that minorities are XYZ , no, I am just stating the facts that we have a culture problem, a dirty court system, or any other possible thing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information