I don't have dyed black hair yet, but I've been considering it (mainly to keep hair upkeep to a minimum if I move out for university - my hair is naturally really dark brown, so minimal to no roots. I also don't know if this has a major affect this would have on future colour changes from black).
Thing is, I hear it's hard to get out once it's in ("once you go black you never go back" basically). And I'm not the type of person to keep the same hair colour for years on end; I can safely say I'm not going to be having black for more than 5 years in a row (I'd gage around 3, maybe 4 years). I like change; that level of permanence isn't my thing.

So I'd like to know my options for when I decide to step back from black, and ones that don't cost upwards to a thousand dollars to completely get away from, let alone totally destroy my hair in the process.

So I'm just wondering, for future reference, WHAT IS THE EASIEST COLOUR TO DYE TO FROM ARTIFICIAL BLACK?
I hear it's red, but I can't find too many sources on this topic. (if it is red, that's rather vague, too - red as in fire engine red? Red as in ginger? Red as in auburn?) It'd be awesome if someone could inform me of how this can work...
I don't dye my own hair, I don't even let my friends dye it. I go to salons to get any hair colour I do professionally done.