Do theatre restraunts pretend they have gigs when they don't?
I started what I thought was a long term job at a theatre restraunt, with a witch theme..I am not from this industry. I was meant to be taking calls for bookings, eventually leading to payroll and even a fill in waitress.

I found instead they pretended they were all booked out on weekdays but put people into weekend shows..ie customers. If there werent enough customers they would cancel and then ring the customers and say they are booked out but I can squeeze you intot the next one the following week.

I had some very angry customers who had just eg sent out party invitation for their kids Birthday party. I asked innocently....if they were open every day..the owner got pretty defensive..I didnt know and a customer asked me.....

I ended up realising its all a big scam if they dont get bookings, as NOT ONE gig was on weekdays...
It meant the recruitment agenc who got me the role also were sending them people thinking lots of roles.
Instead I found week to week their own wait staff, actors and clairvoyant never knew if they were working.

The guy was really dishonest he gave me a day off then rung the recruiter and said I got a 'warning' for using the internet...no such thing happened, there was just not enough work there. I found it weird he scrolled down to see what I had looked up..it was all their scrolls so it struck me as pretty dumb.
He also kept coming in interupting tasks, taking over and saying 4 times in different ways 'you can't eat at your desk' when his colleague I worked with did so....

I am pretty gutted as I then went to work thinking I had a job.. after a few days..and his brother said 'You werent meant to come in we dont think you are what we are looking for.'

I was gobsmacked as they never let me or recruiter know.
Also obvious no work there. Was it all a scam?
I noticed at interview the man who is old enough to be my dad kept asking if i had a partner etc, then I noticed at work he kep making jokes about Fcking which you would share with GUY's not girls and I thought pretty inappropriate.

They lied to customers eg cancelled a kids show, pretty upset mums, then lying saying the stage broke and was being 'braced' and was an OHS issue, the only day to get it fixed was show day....another one was their main actor was in an accident...actually a waiter was....

I know the owner and his brother both were security guards in the past, but i have not ever come across this kind of lying..I am not naive, but i was under the impressin i was finally in a role where I can get a foothlold in the workplace....

Is this typical of the industry? they have a good reputation as a themed theatre restraunt with stand up comedy and musical...but it seemed week to week they don't know if they have a show..
I feel as if i was just hit over the head with a brick..i think my innocent question meant he got rid of me...but either you have a weeks worth or work or you dont right?

Is this typical of the industry?