Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maintenance Questions for a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500?

Hello everyone, I have a general question based on maintenance for my 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

The only thing that I have really done to this bike is change the oil. The bike has over 10,000 miles on it and I purchased the bike when it had 3,000 so it hasn't been to a mechanic for quite some time now.

What all should be looked into? I plan on taking it to a shop in a few days, what all should I ask of the mechanic?

Is there a basic tune-up I can ask for? Should I ask to have the carburetors cleaned and synchronized?

Things i know that I need done...

1) The front tire is dry-rotting so replace it
    2) Replace the brakes
    3) Change the oil
    4) Replace the Spark Plugs
    5) Replace the Air filter

Also, I've noticed that when I drive my bike, it loses power. I have to give it more gas than usual for it to get back up to speed and it happens randomly. It also acts like its going to stall when idling. Can this be something as simple as a spark-plug or do I have something more serious going on with the engine? One day, while warming up the bike, the bike was idling smoothly then it dropped from 1000 rpms to 500 and sounded pretty cruddy. I had to give it gas for a while for it to get back up to speed and idle normally again.

The help will be appreciated, thanks

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have everything done on your to-do list (especially the tires, would much rather ride a crappy-running bike on good tires than riding a great running bike on crappy tires), see if all that helps.
    If not, it sounds like the bike sat around for awhile, in which case some fuel has probably jellied and clogging the jets, a carb-clean would be in order.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information