Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    <Me>

How is taking an interest in other cultures denying my heritage?

So, I think it's cool to be able to speak more than one language, so I thought i'd try to learn. I decided to start with spanish (even though i've completed my necessary foreign language credits (spanish) i feel like i've learned nothing from that teacher!). I've noticed that I,personally cannot learn A LANGUAGE FROM A TEXTBOOK- i don't see how anyone can. I've heard the best way to learn a language is to go to the country, and seeing as how i'm a junior in high school, that's not happening. Instead, i've been using books and cds from the library and watching tv in spanish, i know it's not the same thing, but i'm working with limited resources, lol. And i like the music- reggaeton is really good and bachata is pretty cool too (the music and the dance) but then it's like a lot of my friends think i'm denying my black heritage. I don't see how learning a language is a bad thing. I've learned about my culture probably all my life- why is it bad to want to learn about someone elses?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You know they're wrong. People are always trying to discourage us from things that help us grow. I guess its just human nature for some odd reason. Anyway go for it. When you go looking for a job having a second language opens all kinds of doors for you. Its amazing how many. You could be a transcontinental flight attendant and see the world for free. You'll be looking at jobs your friends could never dream of having. You go for it baby!

Aobhrà l (Suburban Fairy)
    Hey I love culture and languages too
    As long as you know your own culture fully there's nothing wrong with it

Always Seeking Knowledge
    It is not a bad thing. My hat goes off to you for taking it upon yourself to go the extra miles to expand your mind outside your own environment. When I was young I read a lot and could travel through my mind's eye but when I became a mother I wanted my children to experience people and places long before adulthood outside the African-American Race, we started off by attending restaurants, festivals, museums dedicated to a certain culture every other week, it was a treat my children looked forward to. It also helped that we were a military family and had the opportunity to go to several countries, so my children have had a life filled with diversity which I believe to be good for the soul. It also taught them that not all are as bless as we, not all are free, that in some cultures it's gender not race that counts, or that education is only offered to males, the list goes on and on, some good some bad but all worth knowing. Keep learning. Your friends are close-minded, they can't see as far as they can throw as my grandmother used to say, that's ok you keep reaching for the stars!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ethnocentrism is the word created to describe your friends.

Whoever told you that is just jealous you are actually making an attempt and probably dont' think they can do it. It's just ignorance.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are just being open-minded to other cultures, and you found them interesting. Like I am half Mexican but I cannot STAND learning the Spanish language, though I have to. Me, I love German, Japanese, Latin and Russian.
    I am proud of being mostly Mexican and everything but I really have no interest in my culture, but interest in many other cultures. There is nothing wrong with it, it is good to expand your knowledge

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information