Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    abghouston

What is the culture difference in using the term "wife beater shirt" between

the northern and southern US? WE had an inter-office personal fun fact Friday email banter on Friday. All except one person thought it was funny in which got me in a pickle situation. I am so sad for I am in TX and never wanted to offend anyone. The email reads:
    "In watching the weather this morning, I noticed the NJ temperature today is very similar to our low at 5:00 AM for Houston! It was 83 degrees when I woke up at that time! As you may know, ERCOT is reporting a record usage pull on the power grid everyday this week with no relief in sight! It will be a nice 115 degree heat index today and yesterday my lights started flickering around lunch. We have been advised to turn up the A/C to 80 degrees again today and refrain from using any large appliances from 3-7PM to avoid blackouts! I am considering the hillbilly tin foil method on my windows for the summer. LOL!
    Dan you may just want to bring your swim trunks, a colorful wife beater shirt and flashlights for the class next month! TGIF my friends!"

Everyone but one got a laugh out of it except one person found it offensive and that it could violate our sexual discrimination laws; That was a fellow female, in a office management position not beaten to my knowledge. Not the person I was referring to who is my boss.We had fun with it and being a Texan I need input for I think I was misunderstood. I never wanted to offend anyone and feel the cultural difference was the misunderstanding. Any input OTHER than just do not joke around anymore period due to the difference in the North and South and not knowing what will offend a person in the North? (Sad) I guess someone could equally offend me but I would take it in stride due to the fact I am the only Southerner and recognize the culture differences.

agneisq
    Well, I'm not in TX, not even in the USA, and I thought it was funny! (Though I should say TX is the only place in the States I have visited!)

Some people are just determined to be offended by something!

If Dan, the only person who might be able to claim he was offended under your sexual discrimination laws (as he was singled out), wasn't offended, then I'd just ignore the sour-faced old boot who was!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is sticky. I know someone who lost their job over an e-mail. It is not what you deliver it is how it is received. I know it is ridiculous. In this case those shirts are called "wife beaters" regaudless of what the person who took offense to. You need to get yourself prepared. My friend had to go in front of the entire HR and management. My friend did lose their job over it.

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I am in TX and I think it is funny too.

There is always one jerk in the crowd ruining it for everyone, yes?
    Let me guess: the one that was offended was fat and ugly, and has never had a man approach her for attention... right?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A shirt doesn't beat wives. People shouldn't take offence at that. Neither do I think it would be appropriate to outlaw the sardonic wit that led to these shirts being called wife beaters.

It would be nice if this person could just shrug it off like you and I would, but sadly the system is now set up so that we have to cater to every tiny hurt feeling rather than being set up so that we have to handle things like adults.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information