Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are some ways for professional sports leagues to cut back?

Stay in Motel 6's.
    Drive your own cars to games.
    Start practicing in local high school gyms or the YMCA.
    Start paying for their own Gatorade.

Any more ideas?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1. Cheaper hotels, two to a room
    2. Players drive their own cars to home games, maybe bus trips to nearby cities would work, depending on scheduling.
    3. Some teams' practice gyms are in the arena, like the Wizards for example. Practice at YMCA is not possible in my opinion

MY IDEA
    4. Strict restrictive salary cap and max contract rules. A ten year vet's max contract shouldn't be 35% of the cap. That really limits teams' ability to sign other players. I say a max contract for players with 0-5 yrs experience be at 15% of the hard cap, 5-8 yrs experience at 20% of the hard cap, and 25% of the hard cap for guys with 9 yrs on up. This is still a bit much for me, but most players with max contracts make even more through endorsements, so it's not like we're making these players fight to put food on the table.
    5. This isn't a good idea at all in players' minds, but the WNBA did it this season. 11 person active roster, and 2 on injury reserve.
    6. Contract provisions to cut salary of players if they retire in the middle of their contract, whether b/c of injury or b/c the player felt like it.
    7. Contract provisions to cut a portion of salary of players on contracts above an ex amount of money if they are injured for more than half of the season. Players union will hate this, sure injuries aren't intentional, but I don't want to see Gilbert Arenas paid 16 million to sit on the bench. The team should cut half of his salary and remove it off the cap, and that will still be very generous for a guy who sits 80 games on the pine.

#31 and only
    They could stop getting paid so damn much for playing a sport lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information