Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Damond

*Clutch Help* Bike Stalls When I put it in first gear from neutral?

Seeing if someone could shed a little light on the situation. I have a 1991 Katana 600. A week or so ago i was going to go for a ride. i started to coast down my driveway as i pulled the clutch lever the ball snapped from the cable. The bike was now in first gear stuck facing down hill with me on it. There was no way for me to engage the clutch to put back in neutral. I was able to rock it and get it into neutral and pushed it in the garage. Now since that great day i have ordered and replaced the clutch cable. while reassembling the bike i ran into a problem with the clutch release screw. the part that holds the end of the cable on the motor end. All the ball bearings were missing and it has no type of lubricant in it. I ordered and replaced this as well. Now with the bike back together, cable tightened, screws checked and double checked, i go to fire it up. Kickstand is up, pull the clutch, holding break, tap it in to first gear. the bike jerks forward and then cuts off.

I'm new to riding and cant find much information about this particular situation. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if the clutch release screw device that i replaced have and adjustment to it. I noticed that it had a 10mm nut on the back of it. and it tensioned with a spring .I thought that if its not pushing the rod into the clutch far or hard enough that might be a good reason for the problem.

Also I've looked and people mentioned s kick stand switch, would this still in consideration even though it was never a problem prior to replacing the clutch cable.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The usual cause, assuming the clutch is adjusted correctly, is oil causing the clutch plates to stick together. Start the bike in neutral and rev the motor a little while working the lever in and out; that should free off the plates.

If that doesn't do it for you, there may be an adjustment or interlock issue. The side stand interlock may not have been an issue before, but your symptoms mimic it, so you can't rule it out.

As you suspect, however, adjustment could be the culprit in your case, because you have recently worked on the mechanism. You have the bike in front of you, so you are in the best position to figure it out. A manual might help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information