Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with you 99trillion percent!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do Christians really want their religion taught in the public school system?

I think some folks think that Christians want religion taught in public schools. Now, I for one, do NOT. However, I think that the school ought to respect the child's right to hold whatever beliefs s/he holds, including but not limited to Christian beliefs.
    That is, if a Wiccan child wants to thank her Goddess for her academic success, she ought to be able to do so. If a pagan child wants to wear a pentagram to school, s/he ought to be able to do so. If a kid taking science class is asked a question about the origin of life, and he naively answers that God created man, rather than the stock answer that man evolved from the same ancestor as apes, then s/he ought not to get points taken away from him/her for simply answering what s/he believes to be the truth. Let the teacher take him/her aside and quietly explain that, for the purposes of this class, at least, man evolved, and leave it at that...no debating with the kid or making him/her feel stupid for his/her belief.

It is not necessary to teach Christianity or any other religion to America's kids...that is what church is for.
    However, the school system does need to respect each child's religion.

Do you agree?
    Why or why not??
    Nate, Math is something that can be proven.
    The science of evolution is a bit different.

Think of it this way.
    When I was a kid in school, we learned about the solar system. We were taught about the nine planets...Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.
    If you were asked to name the planets on an exam, you had better name Pluto, or you got points off.
    Now, however, we see that those kids were quite correct...Pluto, it seems, is not a planet after all.
    Should they sue their former teachers for "mental anguish"?

Now, you think that there are "tons of evidence" for evolution.
    Guess what? Back 30 years ago, there were "tons of evidence" that Pluto was a planet. Nobody ever expected that would change...but it did.
    What might change tomorrow??

Rev. TomCat
    When I was growing up. The only Christianity that was taught in public schools was in the morning they said the lords Prayer over the PA system and the Pledge to the flag. It wasn't like a subject that was taught. There was a class on religions of the world. It was briefly covered in that.
    Yes, most Christians would have left it the way it was. Naturally we are protective of our belief. What is school for but to learn. This is denying the rights of the children to learn.
    Rev. TomCat

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My son was asked in an oral exam,"Which man has had the most impact on our world?" My son answered "Jesus", but he was scolded for not answering "Bill Gates"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If religion should be taught, it shouldn't be limited to JUST Christianity. We need knowledge on ALL religions.

My friend in England is taking a religious studies class right now.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No I do not want my Religion, Christianity, nor any other religion taught in the Public school system. The only thing I do wish was taught, would be multiple theories for the creation of life. More than just Evolution, and not just Creationism. Propose many ideas and let the kids decide which one makes the most sense to them.

Horsing
    No religion should be taught in schools. Sex, maybe or should be.

The saddest thing in life is to have a religion at birth.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know that several sects in Wicca are basically fertility cults. I wouln't want to teach a child that was wearing a tee with a phallus on it.

Crosses are ok - they are just jewelry. But if you allow crucifixes I suppose you have to allow guillotines and elextric chairs too.

I think teachers and schoolboards should use their common sense around this.

(And religiously sanctioned wrong answers should always be treated the same as all other wrong answers).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would want the bible taught in schools, not religion. Only the bible can change the way a person lives, and only through Jesus can we know what real life is. Why should schools be allowed to teach homosexuality as an alternate lifestyle, and evolution as a fact, but not the bible? Only God can change the character of a nation, just look at what has happened since this nation was formed, and since prayer was taken out of the schools?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i agree, but disagree.

i am a christian, and in no way feel my belief in God should be forced on anyone. i believe that every man will make that choice for himself. and i also think it is wrong for the state to deny anyone their right to pray (or whatever) in school. if the child wants to pray, let them pray. i also disagree with removing God from the Pledge of Allegiance. it's what our nation was founded on. and i agree with Greg...up there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information