Have to replace head gasket on 1993 Toyota Camry 2.2L - a bit concerned

Hello. Wanted some opinions here if possible. Anyway I am going to have to replace head gasket in my 1993 Toyota Camry 2.2 L which has 118,000 miles on it. It is currently loosing fluid, but no where to be seen dripping. I took the car to my mechanic just to see what he thought. He performed a compression test and they were all cylinders within range. He added some K-Seal that temporally helped it run smoother, but after about a month it starting to run much rougher especially at idle. The oil level is good and still normal color not signs of water mixing. He said it is definitely a small head gasket leak since white smoke is coming out of exhaust. It would have to be eventually replaced. That time is now. I the past I replaced a few head gaskets on engines, but never on this type. The only Toyota I replaced a head gasket on a few years ago was a Tercel with a 3E engine. That was my first Toyota and found it much easier to work on than Nissan, Ford, and Chevy. That is why I have the Camry now. To get this done the best price for R&R of the head was $1300.00 which includes the reconditioning of the cylinder head. I came across top end gasket for $140.00 and timing belt kit set for around $75.00 and I will still have the head reconditioned which would approx. $200.00. I was wondering actually how difficult it is with this type of motor and anything that I should be careful with like the head bolts that may strip out? Read that on another thread. Anything else that anyone here ran into that may make it not worth the difference and just get it done? Other than a socket for the heads bolts any other special tools needed? Like I said I replaced one on a 3E engine which I found quite easy, but this 2.2L one has me a bit concerned. Should I take the hood off for easier access? Any input here would be greatly appreciated.
Karl