Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

pulley physics questions?

i am a little behind in physics bcuz i have been busy studying for my chem exams, hence im a little lost when it comes to problems like this. please help me out. include the equations, why u used it, and also plug in the numbers with the answers, bcuz i work better wen i know which number goes whre. thank you so very much ahead of time.

Two buckets of sand hang from opposite ends of a rope that passes over an ideal pulley. One bucket is full and weighs 130 N; the other bucket is only partly filled and weighs 70 N.

A)Initially, you hold onto the lighter bucket to keep it from moving. What is the tension in the rope? in newtons
    B)You release the lighter bucket and the heavier one descends. What is the tension in the rope now?
    C)Eventually the heavier bucket lands and the two buckets come to rest. What is the tension in the rope now?

A. The tension should be 130N. That's the force on each side and hence the tension experienced by the rope. The system is in static equilibrium.

B I can't remember my physics from old days very well, but the tension should be 70N+ (m*9.8). 9.8 being acceleration due to gravity and m being the mass (of?)

C Since the system is again in equilibrium, the tension should be 70N. That is the only force on the rope.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a=130+130=260n
    b=130+70=200n
    c=70n because the 130n is now resting and not putting any tension on the rope where 70n is still hanging

Unregistered
    A- 130N, B- 91N, C- 70N (g=10m/s^2)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information