Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    ChristianGirl_Melissa

'05 Chevy Impala Temperature Problem?

I have a '05 base, 3.4L, and the engine keeps wanting to overheat. I have a full resevoir of Dex-Cool, but to no avail. I had to put in a gallon of dex-cool a couple of weeks ago (thought that was kinda strange, but went with it, since we've driven the car quite a bit since the last time I had it in for routine maintence). Noticed today that it was going over the middle line of the temp gauge (something that's not normal, at least not for my car. The temp gauge usually stays right in the middle, or below, between 1/4 and halfway). Stopped, got another gallon of dex-cool, filled the resevoir to the fill line, and thought that might do the trick. Not so much.

I remember my dad talking a couple of years ago about another chevy model he had (I believe it was a trailblazer, but not totally sure) that had a seperate radiator cap from the resevoir cap. Does the '05 Impala have such? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Lover not a Fighter
    Do you have a leak or overheating problem (or both)?

A leak is a leak and you need to see a mechanic.

===
    As for the over heating, you are not giving enough info.

Does it over heat even while the car is moving?
    Does it over heat only when stopped?

Please come back with more info - and post a new question (nobody reads old questions).

Good Luck...

Dark Knight
    If its an off and on thing that has gotten worse in the last six months. It sounds as simple as your themostat sticking. You can replace it for 15.00 or less. These days it usually doesn't come with a gasket. Ask for one! Most of the time its a simple replacement. Follow the upper radiator hose to the top of the engine. Thats usually its location.

musiclicker
    I own a shop, and think this; You could be loosing coolant somewhere, and its time to take it to a reputable mechanic, and find out whats going on. They can do a pressure test on it, test the radiator cap, and tell you right away what the problem is. It could be a sticking thermostat, a hose clamp that needs tightened up a bit, a leaking heater core, or even worse; a leaking intake or head gasket. Either way; its something that should be nipped in the bud "before" it causes damage, or makes you walk. What your dad was talking about is the older vehicles has a cap on the radiator, and a cap on the reservoir. Many newer vehicles doesn't have a cap on the radiator, and may even have a cap in the upper hose. Again; I strongly suggest you take it in to have it tested, and you will be glad you did.
    Glad to help out, Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information