Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can s

Butterfly

Can s

...Palestine?l? I am not one who watches the new much and I don't fully understand the war. I know both countries believe they have rights to it, but weren't the Jews there first. I know biblically the land was given to them thousands of years ago. Can someone give me some insight to this. I've been having some communications with Muslims about it and need to know a little more in able to participate in the discussion with more knowledge. Thank you for your help.

PhilistineTheArtLover
    Actually, the Palestine region is where agriculture was first practiced by humans some 10,000 years abo way before there were any Palestinians or Israelis.
    The earliest culture known to have inhabited the land are the Canaanites.
    The Philistines and the Hebrews came later.
    It was the Greek historian Herodotus, also known as the father of history, who called the area Palestine sometime around 400BC. The reason being that the Philistines were a more prevalent and productive society than anyone else.
    Israel was a nation of people, not of land. The land became sacred later on after they began writing their Bible and give themselves a narrative.
    So Palestine has always been a conglomeration of tribes, people and cultures.
    By 1948 most Jews living in Palestine came there AFTER the end of World War 2.
    The three Jewish terror groups at the time secured the area for themselves creating in the process one of the biggest refugee problems of the 20th century.
    Ever since then Israel has taken the offensive against other Arab nations by invading Syria in 1951, Egypt in 1956 along with Great Britain and France, doing a "pre-emptive" sweep in 1967, invading Lebanon twice, the second time around occupying the south of it for 18 years.
    Palestinians conceded 80% of historical Palestine to Israel and want to keep as much of the rest 20% as possible.
    To do that they need for the UN resolutions Israel signed onto over 40 years ago to be implemented, and for the illegalities being committed by Isreal to stop and be addressed as called for international law.

Leroy
    Here's an oversimplified answer

1. Palestine was there and after WW2 they needed a place to establish a jewish homeland. Since Jews had ties to Palestine it was chosen.

2. Jews went to Palestine and told them to get lost. Most Palestinians accepted but some fought back.

3. Other Arab countries tried to fight them and lost, over and over and over again

4. Jewish people built a country and then basically said they had all the rights to it because they were the ones who built the roads and infrastructure.

5. Some groups refuse to accept it.

So essentially its a war over land and who has legitimate rights to it.
    (10 points)

flatfootfred
    You'll get better answers researching using Google and doing your own reading. The fight is over Jerusalem, both believing that they have the right to the city which they both lay claim to. This is what it's all about. Of course it's the Jews and not the Palestinians city and they will never get it and are stupid for thinking so. They could never get the Jews out of there. They have no chance but will continue there terrorism to try. This is why they have enabled Hamas to be in power to help there cause.

Matthew D
    The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a subsection of the broader Arab Israeli conflict. The conflict has always been about the establishment of a non-arab non-muslim state within lands that arabs and muslims claim; that jews claim also.

D*Kat
    I am in exactly the same boat as you.. I dont understand all the little details of this conflict either. What I have gathered is the israelites are origionally from Israel & along time ago they were enslaved by Egyptians and somehow most of the Israeli tribes slpit up after that. Alot of them immagrated to Europe.
    In the meantime many muslims moved to Israel. After the holocaust & all the things they had been through hundreds of years later the jews were rightfully given back Israel. This is where the conflict comes...they said to the remaining arab inhabitants you can live in Israel...but in Palestine & Palestine is owned by the Jews now..the muslims want a separate nation of Palestine but the Israelis wont give em it...They have both killed eachother, knocked down houses etc..It's turned into a blood war now, You wont find one Palestinian or Israeli who hasn't lost a family member to the other side..So yea their pissed off at each other & arn't giving up too soon>>

Bruno
    Jews there first? Seem to forget that in the year 1,200 B.C., this biblical old guy Mosses, supposedly led the desert dwelling people, ancient Hebrews [ancestors of today's Jews] into Canaan. And to conquer it, biblical guy Joshua was the world's first mass murderer. Read in the NKJ Bible what he did to the Amelikes. And the land was conquered by Babilonians, Assyrians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs and Europeans, through the Crusades. And has been Moslem for 12 centuries, until British came in 1917 in World War I. The Nazis killed millions of Jews, and the surviving, pushed by Harry S. Truman, then USA president, in one of his real big blunders, to Palestine. There, they pushed out the Arab Palestinians, and since then, the country has been in a turnmoil without no end in sight. Careful with the 1960 movie "Exodus" with salad dressing salesman actor Paul Newman, is too much propaganda in favor of Israel. Personally I don't mind Jews and Israelis. I can have them as next door neighbors. Is abusing Palestinians that I will not accept. And even some Jews are questioning these policies. Yes, the Arabs have made blunders, too. But the Israelis, I am afraid they will never have peace in that place, ever. The land has been in a conflict for thirty centuries. And this will continue for a long time. And Israel, one day, will be substituted by something else. Too bad I won't be able to live to see it. But it will be coming, sooner or later.
    P.D.: Yes, the Israelis have their version of history. I'll be "fair" with them. But the logic tells me otherwise.
    P.D.: "Israel" has had different names: Canaan, Judea and Palestine. See how complicated? Bye!

jim_n_ruth
    It does go back for centuries but, when the land was divided in 1948, and the land was legitimately given to the Israelis, nothing stolen, this is when all hell broke loose. Or so it seems. I can understand the feelings of those who lost land then, honestly I do but, at what point do the two fighting sides realize that years of hate & killing is foolish?

Intifada has not benefited the Palestinians one iota. Those people live in utter poverty. Their situation is just awful, and I do sympathize with that. HOWEVER, years of killings of Israelis is not the way to resoplve differences and conflicts. All that approach has brought is an endless circle of ever increasing hate, violence, death, destruction, poverty, hunger,poor living situations, no industry, on and on.

Both sides need to cease fire imediately. Hamas needs to sing a different tune, and end its ideology of destroying Israel, and the Pals who elected them knowing this, must admit it was wrong.

Until both sides lay down their weapons and stop all aggressions, the current state of affairs will continue for centuries to come, and frankly, that's just stupid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information