Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree but in some ways you may be allowed to think of it as a toy.
    A toy is defined as something designed for amusement or diversion rather than practical use. Now bicycles are more than simply for amusement, although that is considered one of its purposes.
    Bicycles can be used as a method of transportation. For example, those without cars may take the bicycle to go grocery shopping. It may also be used in sporting, think Tour de France.
    If your teacher would think of toys as having a juvenile connotation, then a bicycle is certainly not only for the very young.
    However it can be argued that toys are also for adults, i.e sex toys (sorry if the term offends)
    I think you can get away with calling it a toy, just be sure that you can back it up just in case. I tried to give you argumentative points (but express them in a respectful and polite manner if necessary)
    Good luck and hope my answer helped you

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A toy is defined as something designed for amusement or diversion rather than practical use. Now bicycles are more than simply for amusement, although that is considered one of its purposes.
    Bicycles can be used as a method of transportation. For example, those without cars may take the bicycle to go grocery shopping. It may also be used in sporting, think Tour de France.
    If your teacher would think of toys as having a juvenile connotation, then a bicycle is certainly not only for the very young.
    However it can be argued that toys are also for adults, i.e sex toys (sorry if the term offends)
    I think you can get away with calling it a toy, just be sure that you can back it up just in case. I tried to give you argumentative points (but express them in a respectful and polite manner if necessary)

imported_Harajuku Barbie

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A bicycle is a pedal-driven, human-powered vehicle with two wheels attached to a frame. A mode of transport, sometimes used in sports. It's not a toy. Is a car, or a train, a toy?

A toy is an object that is made, especially for a child, to play with; an imitation, especially of something that adults use, e.g. a toy gun. or something, especially a gadget, that is intended to be, or that is thought of as being, for amusement or pleasure rather than practical use.

A bicycle is not especially made for a children to play with, it's not an imitation of something adults use, and it does have an actual practical use. So, it can't really be a toy.

But you could have a toy bicycle.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A bicycle is a pedal-driven, human-powered vehicle with two wheels attached to a frame. A mode of transport, sometimes used in sports. It's not a toy. Is a car, or a train, a toy?

A toy is an object that is made, especially for a child, to play with; an imitation, especially of something that adults use, e.g. a toy gun. or something, especially a gadget, that is intended to be, or that is thought of as being, for amusement or pleasure rather than practical use.

A bicycle is not especially made for a children to play with, it's not an imitation of something adults use, and it does have an actual practical use. So, it can't really be a toy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information