Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mazda 323 electrical fault! what could it be?

i have this 1996 mazda 323 and i recently had the clutch replaced. The reverse light doesn't seem to work and when i ran my electric meter across it it was reading '8Volts' and then i tried a few days later it read '00.60volts' I also recently installed a new stereo system, basically a direct replacement of what was in the car already. All of a sudden the radio stopped working, and after taking the radio out and again with me electrical meter i found the ignition wire to be reading '00.61 - 00.62volts'.

What could this be?

+ also the clock has stopped working, which was fine only yesterday!

there's literally nothing wrong with the car, except these little electrical issues.

i hope someone can really help me
    just to add, both the alternator and battery are fine!

Battery reads '12.56volts' when the engines off!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That could be ground issues check the ground going to the stereo and check the ground for the back up lights , also sometimes fuses that are labelled to have anything to do with certain devices actually does.Go over every fuse with the ignition in the run position check both ends of the fuses both sides should light up the test probe and be sure to check all the fuses under the hood and in the car.

One way you can check the grounds is buy using a 12 volt auto test probe and buy yourself a few alligator wire connectors from radio shack etc and use the alligator clamp wire to connect to the test probes wire ground lead and connect the other end of the alligator wire to the ground wire you want to test , then use the pointy end of the probe to connect to a positive 12 volt feed that you know has a strong 12 volt feed.Note one reason I use extra alligator clamped wires is so the wires are longer and that way it's easier to use etc.

If the same positive 12 volt connection lights up the probe less then you know that the ground must be weak and always test the probe with a solid ground and solid positive connection such as the battery posts so you know just how bright the probe should be.

Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way remember that if the bulb your testing is a single function bulb then the case or metal bulb housing is the ground or negative and on a dual function bulb usually the centre pin or wire is the ground.Just remember to always use automotive wire and the same thickness or gage of wire when replacing wires and it be best to create a whole new ground , also that stereo could have more then one ground usually the black wires are the ground and the chassis of the stereo is a vital ground too.

Need anymore help or advice just ask me or send me a email, by the way my speciality is electrical trouble shooting.last note sometimes a fuse can have a bad connection so clean the fuse legs or pins one by one just to be sure it has a good solid clean connection.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    check all the fuses.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information