Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Darren p

can i put crabs with fish?

is there such thing as a freshwater crab? can i put it with a tinfoil barb, silver dollar, 2 bala sharks, and 4 clown loaches? and if so where can i find them?
    what size tank would they need?
    do the crabs need to get out of the water or can the be submerged their whole life? i have my tank full with no rock pile for a crab to get out of the water

John Z
    Mini crabs are the only actual crab I've seen for freshwater tanks. You can find them at any pet store, and I know petsmart carries them. I'm note sure if the clown loaches won't mess with it, but you can give it a shot. Petsmart, petco, and other big pet stores give you 2 weeks on fish (or crabs) so if it gets in a fight with anything within two weeks, take it back immediately. They don't do good with bottom dwellers though. I've seen them rip up pleco's fins pretty badly.

Edit: They're pretty small, so even a 10 gallon usually suits them, but if you have balas and clown loaches, your tank is probably big enough for a mini crab.

Fiery
    ... I hope you do know balas and clown loaches need at least 100+ gallons and more when full grown. Both species of fish can grow a foot long. Even the Tinfoil barb can get HUGE, and the silver dollar around a few inches, but all species need at least 5+ or more hence a shoaling species.

Any smaller tank will only stunt, and limit their life span and in the end kill them or get to big and you will have trouble with them fighting.

There are no freshwater crabs sold in petstores that live in WATER only. They need land to bask on and shed their shells. And loaches eat snails and I am sure they will eat any crabs.

("'\(o.o)/"')

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information