Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    xray_man69

How to clean a fish tank?

I have a tank that has been out of commission for several years. I can clean the tank, but I am afraid that Windex is not good for it. I want to start it back up with fish in it. Is there anything I can use on it that is safe to put fish back into the tank?

petman66
    You are right about not using windex, or any soap. The best thing you can do is clean the tank with just water, and a tough sponge to get the stuff off of the sides of the tank. When you put fish back in the tank, I suggest getting small, cheap fish just to start up the tank. Good Luck

KDHeine
    ur initial thought process was good, dont use those products, i would thouroughly rinse it out with plenty of water, and scrub it down, which will remove all the dust and dirty particles. you could use a high-pressured hose to blast the sides of the glass tank, which will remove a lot of debree, and just wipe it down. Just remove everything that could be harmful. You will need to be more efficient if you will be using the tank for saltwater, but for fresh (if the tank has just been in storage and doesnt have all that much guck in it), using hot water, and rags and paper towels. you can use windex and other things on the outside, but not on the inside, good luck with it....

Sharif786
    i would use hot water to clean the tank and once you put the water for the tank inside and the fish use water treatment which you can find in any aquarium suppliers and once or twice a week do a 10 percent water change. (take 10 percent of the water out and put fresh water in)

Sharif786
    i would use hot water to clean the tank and once you put the water for the tank inside and the fish use water treatment which you can find in any aquarium suppliers and once or twice a week do a 10 percent water change. (take 10 percent of the water out and put fresh water in)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information