Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Asperger's seems very mild compared to some forms of autism. Better to say you have Asperger's.

Personally, I find that about half the population has some form of social difficulty. In that sense, Asperger's is fairly normal, I think, and so I would tend to avoid too much apologizing. Social situations are two-way. If someone misunderstands me, it might be me that hasn't explained right, or it might be them who hasn't understood right. If I don't see social cues, it is a matter to choice whether I blame myself for not seeing, or I consider the other person at "faul" for not providing clear cues.

If I was hurt verbally I would try to show this verbally. Physical hurt is abuse - it is not something that peiple have a right to do to you, on the contrary, it would be wrong, and you have the right to complain - you should probably complain to the police if it is serious..

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Asperger's seems very mild compared to some forms of autism. Better to say you have Asperger's.

Personally, I find that about half the population has some form of social difficulty. In that sense, Asperger's is fairly normal, I think, and so I would tend to avoid too much apologizing. Social situations are two-way. If someone misunderstands me, it might be me that hasn't explained right, or it might be them who hasn't understood right. If I don't see social cues, it is a matter to choice whether I blame myself for not seeing, or I consider the other person at "faul" for not providing clear cues.

If I was hurt verbally I would try to show this verbally. Physical hurt is abuse - it is not something that peiple have a right to do to you, on the contrary, it would be wrong, and you have the right to complain - you should probably complain to the police if it is serious..

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a bunch of "business" cards and write the address of a good aspergers information source. Whenever the topic comes up you can hand one out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You act eccentric, What is your problem?

I suffer from Asperger's, so I am perceived eccentric (I too feel I am somewhat). But the good part is that I am well aware about my condition.

Being socially gauche and eccentric rubs people in wrong way, though it is mostly unintentional (I can't get social, non verbal, unwritten protocols, etiquette related cues easily, and I can't do much about it).

Otherwise I am very bright intellectually. so when people ask about why I act so, I am at loss of words. How can I explain? If I tell I have autism most unaware people think I have some kind of psycho illness, some have preconceived stereotypical image of autistics.

They cannot imagine that a seemingly healthy and intellectual person can be an autistic, I must be lying.

And It is not always possible to explain high and low functioning autism to a layman.

As I have difficulty in getting social support and bonding. The main problem with me is that my intentions are suspected, and I am vulnerable to abuse. Loner, detached, introvert and different from everyone.

If one hurts me verbally or even physically for my unintentional social follies and absent mindedness, little I can do beside apologizing my mistake.

What should I do when people misinterpret my intentions? Provided Asperger's cannot be treated of their eccentricities, gauche behavior, blindness non verbal cues.
    --------------------------------------…

P.S.

I have every symptom of asperger's. Almost a textbook case.

Yes I suffered in childhood due to this, lonliness, social and teachers abuse, neglect. But that primarily due to high functioning autism. I also have co morbidity, dysgraphia.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a bunch of "business" cards and write the address of a good aspergers information source. Whenever the topic comes up you can hand one out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information