Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 100 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Vinyl Turnip

Stupid Republican idea of the day

Quote Originally Posted by legalsnugs View Post
    The affair started a year ago when Bush was in the White House and Sanford was being considered as a running mate for McCain. Of course, it's President Obama's fault!
    Candidate Obama, back then. His campaign operatives combed the globe to find the perfect femme fatale to foil any potential challenger, using a proprietary psychological assessment/social networking tool developed by engineers at eHarmony and ACORN. You people don't even know how deep this thing goes.

Kobal2

Quote Originally Posted by CannyDan View Post
    Is this the Republican default since 9/11? Just keep everybody scared all the time, because frightened people can be persuaded to vote against their own self interests?
    OI ! Spoiler tags !

SteveG1

Quote Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
    It gets worse - check the results of the poll next to the article.
    And yet, maybe there is hope.
    Some of the responses were pretty good.
    What an embarrassment. I am so glad I'm not an Arlington resident. I would be ashamed of this gibbering dipstick.
    Of course he has freedom of speech and he should be encouraged to use it, how else will the rest of use figure out what a tool he is.
    When we stop doing the I hate you - and my god is better than your god dance - this world will be a much better - and peaceful - place.
    To hell with Wiseman and his unAmerican, unChristian, and stupid remarks. He ain't shit anyway, just some mayor, of someplace I don't give a damn about.

Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
    Of course you're right. I assume you felt the same way about Palin and her "death panels" bullshit. Right?
    Nope. 'Death panels' was a mischaracterization that actually referred to bureaucratic decisions to disallow lifesaving treatment due to cost considerations. Do you think the government wouldn't do something like that? I know of a woman who had a stroke and was completly paralyzed on the left side of her body. She applied for Social Security disability benefits. After six months of waiting for a decision, she was denied because the government deemed that she was still capable of doing "some kind of work."

The government doesn't give a shit about us. It is concerned with its own monetary considerations and its own convenience. If you fall outside those parameters, tough shit for you. The government will blow you off without a moment's thought or regret.

So why is it so outlandish to believe that a government that would tell a 50% paralyzed woman that she could still do some kind of work would also tell an elderly or infirm person that they weren't worth the cost of saving? (I should probably be clear here that I don't necessarily believe this would happen right away. It might even take decades. But eventually the coffers will begin to run low, and when that happens people needing costly care - and in my opinion, elderly ones with less life left ahead in the first place and the hopelessly infirm - are gonna be told they don't qualify.

Republicans favoring rape, on the other hand, is an outright lie that is clearly not an exaggeration or matter of degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
    I take it you didn't read the cites.
    Your cites? Yes, I did. Allow me to quote from the second one the following:

[I]Tuesday, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, in a 2 to 1 ruling, found her alleged injuries were not, in fact, in any way related to her employment and thus, not covered by the contract.

[B]One of the judges who ruled in her favor, Rhesa Hawkins Barksdale, is a West Point grad, Vietnam vet, and one of the court

Really Not All That Bright

Colbert for Governor of South Carolina?

Robot Arm

Quote Originally Posted by brownie55 View Post
    I disagree. At least not is she is forging public policy. But, hell, I think that Cheney's energy policy meetings should have been public too.
    That's what I was going to ask about. Why should an unelected, unofficial participant in government be subject to more stringent public reporting rules than the vice president? So, what are the requirements about policy groups that elected office-holders take part in?

OttoDaFe

Quote Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
    Republicans, the next Whigs!
    Much as I hate to throw cold water on such a tempting prospect, I remember both Barry Goldwater and Richard Nixon. In each case the "pundints" declared the GOP to be RIP, and in each case it bounced back in a few years.

Adding in the fact that each incarnation was more whackadoodle than its predecessor, I'm not taking a great deal of comfort in the present situation.

ArchiveGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
    You people don't even know how deep this thing goes.
    I bet Sanford knows how to say this in Spanish...

elucidator

[QUOTE=Frodo;11322391]Strange, I speak spanish and we always called it a tilde ...

Diogenes the Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
    I knew a woman once whose philosophy, if caught red-handed at something she shouldn't be doing, was to deny, deny, deny...under the belief that blatant and continued denials whould eventually cause the accuser to doubt what they'd seen with their own eyes.

That won't work with me.

To wit, from William Safire in the New York Times: [bolding mine]

(1) Foster's body is discovered July 20. White House aides, unobserved, are in and out of his office that night and next day. His possession of the Whitewater file is kept secret. (2) On Thursday, July 22, White House Counsel Bernard Nussbaum, with intimidated cops nearby, gives Foster's box of Whitewater files to Ms. Williams (not, as was long said, to the Clintons' lawyer). (3) After talking to Hillary Clinton, Ms. Williams locks the files in a closet in the third-floor family quarters of the White House, to which she had the only key. (4) Not until Tuesday, July 27, are the Whitewater files retrieved by the lawyer, then Robert Barnett.

So, a) Foster had files regarding Whitewater that had been kept secret. b) a box of Whitewater files was given to Williams. c) After consulting with Hillary Clinton, Williams, who had the only key, locked the box in a closet in the White House living quarters. d) The files were finally turned over to Barnett on July 27, a week after Foster's suicide.

Now a box of Whitewater files may be construed as nothing but thin air to you, but to me it's a box of Whitewater files.
    You keep quoting this Safire column as though it's meaningful. Starr found no evidence that any of this occurred. Moreover, there was nothing damaging to the Clintons in any of those files anyway, so there was no motive to move them.

What was "strange" about Foster's death, by the way?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information