Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Inception

Yoda
    Yoda
's Avatar

Inception

Seeing this again tomorrow afternoon, and I've got a small mental list of things to look out for. How marvelous is it that I feel the need to do that?

planet news
    planet news
's Avatar

Inception

Genesis Pig: That's taking it a little too far. Everything anyone says is their personal view. Even mathematics, for instance. It's most people's personal view that mathematics represents a viable system for calculating reality. Alain Badiou would go further in his personal view that mathematics is actually the ontology of existence. Some people might derive a personal view that mathematics is invalid, and for some things it is. I don't mean to get all postmodernist on you (really it is you going dat on me), but complete relativism doesn't rationalize everything. Hitler had his own personal view, dontcha know.

Is this a discussion forum or what? The text's the thing that will reveal the veracity of your personal view, as Shakespeare would say. These thumbs are just a gimmick.

Fiscal
    Fiscal
's Avatar

Inception

YOU SAW INCEPTION IN 3D?!?!?111one

Yoda
    Yoda
's Avatar

Inception

Yeah, most of that's really, really obvious. And some of it's wrong; like #15. You need a kick to move up a level, not drop down one.

Anyway, nice review TUS. Really glad you dug it.

Yoda
    Yoda
's Avatar

Inception

I still owe a few people replies earlier, so apologies for that. Just replying to what I can remember is out there at the moment. I'll catch up, though, I promise.

Zuh? Backwards? I don't follow.

Concerning my favorite scenes, though: I really like Ariadne's training program, and I really like Cobb's Mr. Charles routine. Obviously the hotel scenes were the most inventive and fun, though. I think they have to be among just about everyone's favorite scenes. It's one thing to have cool, Matrix-y style fights, but it's another thing to actually have a logical reason for the bizarre nature of the fight. Really dug that. A lot.

No, he had it with him, and deliberately spun it on the table. He did the same thing three times earlier in the film, two of those times right after he'd woken up, to make sure he was in reality, and the third time while he was holding a gun, ready to shoot himself if the top didn't stop (this was right before he was on the phone with his children, early in the film).

Anyway, in the final scene he comes in, spins the top, but then sees his children's faces and walks away before seeing what happens to it. The top wobbling was the very last thing we see/hear; we don't see it correct itself again, which is one of several reasons I think the ending is reality.

Same here, though probably because I saw Shutter Island just a couple of weeks beforehand. I think someone said this already, but that'd be a heck of a double-bill.

I dunno if this jibes with what Nolan has been saying about the film, though. He's repeatedly emphasized that it took forever because he couldn't find an emotional core to connect to, and he says DiCaprio found it. The film certainly works on many levels, but I don't think Cobb is just some excuse to drag us into it all; he's pretty clearly integral for Nolan.

LuDiNaToR
    LuDiNaToR
's Avatar

Inception

i cnt wait to see this.

christine
    christine
's Avatar

Inception

exactly!

and thanks for posting that interview with Dileep Rao Yoda. It reminded me that the part where Cobb squeezed through that tiny gap was the bit that had my heart beating faster, cos I have nightmares about being trapped in caves and having to squeeze out. Nice touch that. Now if they would've had a bit where his teeth crumbled away that would've had me in pieces!

I agree[spoilers="spoilers"] that the end is reality. The top did wobble and I don't like the age old ending 'it was all a dream'. Surely Nolan wouldn't do that! it's just a tease.[/spoilers]

by the way isn't it nice to have a film that has meat enough for a proper discussion!

The Prestige
    The Prestige
's Avatar

Inception

Vicky, Meats and Fischel have hit the nail on the head. Also, some of you guys have to remember that it Cobb has trained Fischer and people like him to use his subconcious as a defense mechanism, but he probably made sure that there are limits to these defenses, to protect his investments, if you will. I think it's an astounding film. Very powerful three dimensional plotting/thinking.

Glamourhits
    Glamourhits
's Avatar

Inception

did they make it on 3D

Yoda
    Yoda
's Avatar

Inception

Finally got my review done. Pretty hard to put this one into words, particularly given that I wanted to describe as little of the plot as possible.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information