Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    The Prestige
    The Prestige
's Avatar

The Prestige's Prestigious films to immerse you

This is not an actual update just rectifying one film in the list. I recently rewatched Identity , and while I still really like it, I don't think it deserves to be in my Top 100. Instead the Walchowski's debut takes it's place and you can read about it here:

http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=16901&page=5

The Prestige
    The Prestige
's Avatar

Good call. One of my old lecturers argued that Kane was the first noir aswell, but I kept contradicting him because I thought I was a smart arse . But seriously, you can make a case for it being the first film to feature the visual hallmarks that would later influence the recognisable noir sub genre.

Maybe even the narrative, as well. The journalist being a substitute for the private investigator, as well as the quest to find out the meaning of the sexy sounding 'Rosebud'.
    Also the blatant use of German Expressionism helps the arguement too.

But. And it's a big butt. Citizen Kane is not a crime film at all, which is why some people disassociate it with film noir. And there are no femme fatales. I def. think it influenced the noir style. But as far as being a pure noir, Kane simply isn't.

Pyro Tramp
    Pyro Tramp
's Avatar

Oh, i already have my top films, not actual #1 or #2. My next entry will be, i believe, #39 but only have 37 more actual films. If that makes sense. Started list at higher number then actual films on it so could slot on some classics i've missed out as and when i watch them.

The surprise flick is a recent, Hollywood, horror adaptation. It would be no higher #39 but i have a freakingly strong admiration for some highly memorable aspects of it.

And no, Pee-Wee wasn't a joke lol. It would go in around #70-#100 because if you think Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar, then so does Paul Reubens

Thursday Next
    Thursday Next
's Avatar

Not seen Ginger Snaps, although it sounds interesting. But the whole puberty/horror thing isn't exactly a new concept...what about Carrie?

Anyway, hoping to see you finally finish this list, bets placed now on how many Nolan films make the top 10...

The Prestige
    The Prestige
's Avatar

The reason I edited that bit was because I thought you would have taken that offensively even though it wasn't intended to be. I was trying to take your feelings into account despite the fact that you're looking for a fight. You have your opinions and I have mine, mate. Lets just keep it at that, yeah?

Pyro Tramp
    Pyro Tramp
's Avatar

Give me a hug Adi

Pyro Tramp
    Pyro Tramp
's Avatar

If you like Joseph Gordon Levitt, i recommend Mysterious Skin for a pretty strong performance.

Oh and it's Roy Scheider, not Schneider. Let's not be getting him confused with that **** weasel Rob Kinda feel obliged defending him since his death was completely overshadowed by Ledger.

Mrs. Darcy
    Mrs. Darcy
's Avatar

Nice write-ups, Presty! The only one I haven't seen is Romeo Brass, and since you made it sound so good, I'll put it in the queue.

The Prestige
    The Prestige
's Avatar

Nah you're alright, mate. At least it's not a hi jack that involves some sad, lonely lad who has issues with theirs and others sexuality. So i'm cool.

rice1245
    rice1245
's Avatar

that last post was flawless

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information