Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    goodnightboy

There Will Be Blood #1- When ambition meets faith

You should! It's very good. Best movie of the year so far (it came out this year for me).

jackiehydelover

Question: Do you think TWBB would still be a masterpiece if Daniel Day Lewis wasn't in it? This was a conversation my friends and I had while trying to figure out which was the better film, No Country or TWBB. Our conclusion was that No Country was the overall better film but Daniel Day was incredible in TWBB. If it wasn't for him, I'm not sure if people would think Blood was better than No Country.

Note: This is just a conversation starter. In no way is it meant to say the TWBB is a bad film. I thought it was incredible

goodnightboy

I know! Oh and he married Mary, right? I liked the Mary/HW scenes actually. Did the movie give any reason why Abel Sunday beat the girls (including Mary)? If Daniel did one good thing, it's that he rescued Mary from more beatings...

Ali Marie

My aunt burned this for me (sue me) but I haven't watched it yet! I need to soon.

goodnightboy

The first 15 wordless minutes? Perhaps, but I thought it was perfect as well. To be honest if we're talking about movie lengths then Jesse James felt longer - I didn't feel the length for both, but especially not for TWBB because everything in TWBB was just perfectly done. Besides if people came in here expecting some horror movie then that's their problem really - if you know what it's about then I don't think you would find it slow.

goodnightboy

So, I finally watched it yesterday. Oh my god, what a movie. It was grand and terrible, so mad and yet completely captivating. Daniel Day-Lewis more than deserved the Oscar, he was terrifying. I think Paul Dano should have been nominated for Best Supporting actor though, he was really underrated as the weaselly Eli Sunday. Silly Academy voting block :nono:

The score was good (better with the visual counterpart, obviously). The cinemaography was grand, the images stark (the burning derrick!), and the plot twists were a shock to me. But honestly, this was really all about the acting. It really drives the movie and makes it as great and insane as it is.

There was nothing in the film that I didn't like, but I ****ing hated the audience. They were laughing at bits in the movie, specifically the baptism scene where Eli makes Daniel speak louder, and the last showdown with the "I drink your milkshake" and Daniel clobbering Eli to death. Someone actually clapped. What the hell? It's not funny! It's not meant to be funny, it's meant to be powerful and scary and the audience completely ruined the mood for me. Bastards. I wanted to yell at them to shut up at one point but I decided there wouldn't be any point. And people were outright talking at the end.

But despite the idiot audience, the movie was still staggeringly good. I can't get it out of my head, it's just a complete tour de force, a masterpiece. I've now watched both this and No Country for Old Men. And while I insert a caution that says I might not be totally unbiased because TWBB is still fresh in my mind and NCFOM isn't, I think that TWBB just might have been the better film. Don't get me wrong, I love NCFOM, but it's more conventional. TWBB was more weird, in a sense, and probably polairised the voting block more. Which is a real shame, because TWBB is more of a risk but is better for it. Now that I think about it, it really got jipped at the Oscars. But it's okay, it's really a masterpiece and I think both this and NCFOM, two movies I can call "great", will be remembered over the years to come

goodnightboy

That's not lame at all! A good score should do that. Come on, I'm watching the movie primarily to see how good the score is with the movie, so if you're lame, then I'm lamer than you are

The score is great though. 'Prospectors Arrive' alone is worth the price of the movie ticket. It's flat-out amazing as a piece of music and I can't wait to hear it and see the movie's images at the same time. I'm still pissed Jonny was ruled ineligible for the Oscar nomination - he would have been one of the frontrunners for sure

Jezebel In Hell

Yes! The score gave me goosebumps. I realize that might make me sound really lame, but it's true.

This was a really excellent movie.

goodnightboy

Same, and I'm going to watch it on Thursday, but I wish I could have seen it before the Oscars, it'd've been better. Never mind, better late than never!

You know, as a Radiohead fan I was first interested in it because I knew Jonny was doing the score for the movie. But now that I've heard such good things about it, I want to watch it myself. I have the score - 'Prospectors Arrive' is flat out amazing - but I really want to see it in context. I'm sure it'll be mindblowing.

ash515

DDL was fantastic in this movie. I'm so stoked that he won.

this movie is like a really great character study. he's just totally delves into this role as Daniel Plainview

"I want no one else to succeed"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information