Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    UnsilentMajorty

The Lake House (Remake of Siworae/Il Mare)

What I don't like is when the studio orders cuts to be made for a film (for a variety of reasons not dealing with artistic choices) for the sole purpose of "double dipping" -- releasing a "Director's Cut" or "Unrated Version" a few months after the standard theatrical version of the DVD is released.

This is a new, unethical trend the industry has adopted and I, as a consumer, don't support it one bit because it is not about artistic choice, but milking and gouging consumers because they know they can make more money making two, or three different versions of a film instead of putting all that on one or two discs. Especially, with DVD9 and advanced compression technology these days. There is no excuse for having more than two versions of a single film in my opinion. What is worse is studios will then justfiy their greed by saying if they put all of those features on a one, or two-disc set you would have to pay around $30-40 for it at release. So, what? Their twisted logic is you pay around $15-20 for one version and then ANOTHER $15-20 for the extended or unrated version in a few months... Which proves it is nothing but a greed issue on the part of Hollywood and corporate entities like Sony, Universal, etc.

shrrshrr

Hmm...I can see why this concept would be successful for a Korean film, given their cultural heritage with mystical stories (which this sort of falls under), and I thoroughly enjoyed the pairing of Ssandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in Speed...

But I'm concerned because whenever you have pairing magic in a US film and you try to recreate it, it generally doesn't work. Still, I'll give this film a try, at the very least on DVD.

Thanks for the thread!

Me too. Can't wait The 4th of july fireworks scenes wasn't there neither

UnsilentMajorty

This latest Hollywood remake of the Korean film "Siworae" stars Speed alumni Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock:

TRAILER

Summary: A lonely doctor (Sandra Bullock) who once occupied an unusual lakeside home begins exchanging love letters with its newest resident, a frustrated architect (Keanu Reeves). When they discover that they're actually living two years apart, they must try to unravel the mystery behind their extraordinary romance before it's too late. -- Internet Movie Database

Release Date: June 16, 2006

This film has a lot of potential negatives going against it such as it being a remake of a well received Asian film and the pairing of Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock which will be ripe for critics and naysayers to jump all over.

However, if it is anything like "Il Mare" (Siwoare)... It should have not just romance fans swooning, but sci-fi fans as well since a major part of the storyline involves parallel timelines and what is called "Magical Realism" where the audience just accepts extraordinary events as common place.

I usually don't like romantic dramas/comedies, but I am willing to give this one a chance because it does have an extra layer to it which hopefully will make it rise above the cliched formula which plagues most romantic movies made by Hollywood.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information