Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Because we saw it coming: Movie Cliches

It's an open discussion. If you like some, hate some, love them all or just loathe them as a whole.

life_style

I pretty much :lmao: at your post. This is so true!

thescoobygang

Is this a thread for cliches we like...or don't like? Because I can think of plenty of Hollywood ones that really bug me. Like....

-when a character outruns a huge explosion. Really...even if the hero could avoid the actual fireball, the shockwave blast would kill them. Instead they get tossed in the air, dust off some dirt and say something witty.

-when a car tumbles though the air and does several rotations before 'just' missing the hero who is on the ground or in another car. This stunt has been done to death in recent years.

-any comedy that still uses tripping, broken heels, broken noses or kicks to the groin to get a laugh should be embarassed

-when the President has to give a national address to say things looks grim but not to worry because they will fight the aliens, robots, terrorists, killer bugs, monsters, natural disasters, deadly virus etc....to the bitter end.

-in a romance movie where the main character realizes they are in love with their best friend in the last 5 minutes. d'oh!

-in male-oriented action dramas....the young child of the hero is always kidnapped or killed. If the child is a teenager....they are still kidnapped or killed. The only difference is the teenager is mouthy and the child is whiny. The wife or ex-wife usually doesn't fare much better either.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. The only cliches I like involve those rah-rah moments. You know...the basket at the buzzer, the kiss at the end or when an annoying bad guy gets his head blown off.

Princess Sofia

Yeah, me too..

I am a big fan of RomComs..But there has to be a real story in it..I really like movies with Hugh Grant, Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts...
    And I also like the classics, like Dirty Dancing, The sound of music..LOVE IT!

life_style

I agree with pretty much everything you just said :lol:

Quarterley

Cliches bore me, especially when they are too far from being realistic.

Happy endings are actually the best when we don't see it coming, when we already believed it wouldn't happen. They are worst when you can spot them a mile away. I mean, even if it's a comedy, spin a little twist or something!

The cliche endings I hate the most is for the movie to end with a wedding or multiple weddings or multiple pairings of some sort just because somehow people need to be a couple or the movie cannot end, then they add a stupid tag showing all these people 5 or 10 years from now, making the audience see how they have evolved into barely recognizable characters compared to before.....:yawn:

Okay, this is making me sleepy....I should sleep. :sleep:

life_style

I tend to dislike cliches, but if you like 'em there's one movie that pretty much contains them all: Stepmom with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon.

Makes me wanna barf :lol:

General Maximus

I love the "I think he's dead... we can go home now" not quite endings.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I must admit, there are some cliches I love. One is the quintessential RomCom ending. But there are others that make me want to tear my hair out, like the ex-girlfriend who knows how to control the object of her obsession: "I'm pregnant!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information