Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    carve the canyon

Data plans don't work for me...

I am wondering if you can offer me any assistance with my phone. I bought a Samsung SGH-i320 (I know, not a BB) from an electronics store to use on the Rogers network after my old phone broke on me, and i didnt have time/$$ to waste on getting a new BB. However, the data plans from Rogers don't work on my phone. My calls/text/Vm/etc all work fine, but the data plan is ignored and it charges me the per kb rate.

Do you have any idea how I can get this rectified? I got annoyed with having to call Rogers everyday to get them to fix my account, so I told them to just block all the internet on my phone, which isn't killing me, but it would be nice if it worked.

If you are able to provide any help that would be great. I know its not a Rogers device, and I will be buying a new phone in about a year or so, but if you could offer any help in the mean time, it would be great.

Thanks

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

the problem is prob that its not a rogers phone. if you keep calling and telling them 2 fix it and it still doesnt work then thats most likely the case.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is the phone unlocked to work on Rogers?

bri babe

and i guess that there is no way to make it work then?

I've talked to a couple of people there, and the calls were nice, but they didn't really help me other than credit my bill for the per kb charges because i was paying for a data plan as well.

Britni Warner

yup. everything works except for the data plans, i've never had any other problems with it

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's right. When added a specific data plan, it gives rep a device with eligibility window. Which means, it recognizes a device on the account to which the data plan applies to. In the device section it lists the hardware with it's imei. So it's tied to the imei of the phone that's been registered, and that is reported by the sim card at random intervals. You best bet is to have the phone registered to the account, but not activated, as activation is done through the sim and if you have your old sim, you sholdn't have to have it "activated". Rogers just needs the account to see the hardware to get hardware specific bundles. That is why if you purchased an iphone or a BB from someone and used your sim card in it, and your account only shows a Nokia or something as such, there will never be the option to add iphone, smartphone or BB socs.

Britni Warner

ok, i'll have to try that

thanks

bri babe

EXACTLY. sorry i never saw this thread to reply but this sums it up PERFECTLY.
    Cheers Iotacus. Great post.

C.O.P (Cow On Parole)

Are you talking about a BB data plan? These will not work on anything but a BB, because all the data runs through a BB BIS account, instead of your carrier, so without a BB you cant access it, which is why I would think you are being charged for it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

BB data plans actually work on ANY device as they include both the internet.com APN as well as the BIS/BES APN.

Its the other way around that doesnt work.

Say you have a BB data plan and want to use your SIM in an iPhone, thats okay, you can switch back and forth between the devices. I had personally done it for a while.

Now if you have an iPhone (or generic) data plan and want to switch back and forth between the iPhone and BB, you wont be able to because the iPhone (or generic) data plan cannot push data through the BIS/BES servers.

But that is not the case with the OP, Iotacus' answer was the correct one as it has something to do with the Rogers billing system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information