Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does it really matter how I turn off the bike?

I taught beginner m/c course for 6 years under the Canadian Safety standards and rules and we always told our students to get in the habit of turning off the bike using the kill switch. It cuts the power to the engine directly and takes less time than reaching for any other key and/or switch as it is simply a flick of the right thumb to engage the switch. For safety purposes it is a much better way to shut the engine down quickly. Most people do what they do by rote on a regular basis in a panic situation and being familiar with and comfortable using the kill switch could make a difference.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a friend that uses the kill switch and is always leaving the ignition on a running down the battery. I am not sure why Harley uses kill switches FI bikes have a tilt sensor that will cut the engine. I am assuming that the kill switch is in case of an accident and the rear tire is rubbing on your leg or the like. Am a mistaken?

I seem to remember a service bulletin that said do not use the kill switch on TBW bikes as it was causing the idle to be reset too high.

It does not make sense to me to have to operate 2 switches to stop the bike and then 2 to start the bike.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Be a man pull the plug wires with your left hand, the engine will die....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turning off with the ignition switch will eventually cause failure from the arcing each time.

That is why many use the kill switch first.

BUT. What is the life cycle of the ignition switch went used all the time? Who knows could it be 100,000 cycles? One million cycles?

I just wonder if it is even worth worrying about.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since the only person this matters to is the owner/rider do it what ever way works for you. That said, the way that is taught in any rider training class is to use the kill switch. This is for two reasons. 1) you get used to using the kill switch so it is instinctive to use it when needed and you don't need to look or think about it when you need to shut the bike down quickly. Riders who use the kill switch are also used to turning it back on to start their bike. 2) With the kill switch you can shut down the engine without removing your hands from the grips. If you live in an area with hills or ride with a passenger it is essential since you can shut down the bike while holding the brake and clutch and balanced securely with both feet on the ground, so it will not roll, and stay where you park it (parked in first). Also sometimes you can see someone unfamiliar with the kill switch cursing for 10min cause their bike won't start, only to later find the switch is turned off. At your next bike gathering turn everyones kill switch off while they are away from their bikes and wait for the hilarity when people get back on their bikes

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you ride your bike every day, then probably there is no problem without using the engine off/on switch (kill switch).
    If you let the kill switch for an extended time (may be a week, or so), you may need a new battery.
    Of course, in either case, an "on" ignition switch will drain your battery within few hours.

If you do that, you may look like this. And deserve it. Ya don't go around messing with peoples bikes, even childish pranks can get you in grown up trouble.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In all my 50 yrs in the saddle never used the kill switch, once they started putting them on the bikes.For those that feel it is needed more power to ya.Just another wasted move.Years ago used to powershift with momentary kill switch when drag racing,to make shifting much quicker.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It does matter! If you don't kill the power at the wall switch, electricity will leak out the trouble light cord and run your bill up...LOL

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is funny! I remember two brothers seeing whitch one would hold the plug wire on a John Deere Tractor the longest. Both of them were two bricks short of a load...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information