Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

05 C90T Starting Problem, Maybe Compression Lock

Have had my Blvd for 3 years and about 7K miles. It has had a chronic albeit infrequent problem with getting locked up on restart after being ridden for varying lengths of time. Sometimes seems to have a relationship with very hot weather but not always. At first, I thought it was a battery problem but after experiencing it about a dozen times over three years, I have decided it is more of a compression lock problem. By that I mean that the battery tries to turn it over quite well but it "immediately" hits a strong compression stroke that it can't overcome. My theory is that there are times that it just happens to stop at the point of the 4 cycle stroke where some compression has started to build. When very hot, this trapped air might even gain in compression while first sitting and it just doesn't have the power in the battery and starter to overcome it. The fix, I have discovered, is to simply let the bike sit for about 15 to 30 minutes over which time I suspect the compression bleeds down and then, usually by rapidly engaging the starter repeatedly, it will finally turn over easily and start right up.

Is anyone else having a similar problem or a suggestion for a possible fix?

PS -

After several replies re the battery, I will add that I have already installed a brand new battery as a precaution, ride on a regular basis which keeps it charged well and when the problem occurs, even using jumper cables from a known more powerful battery does not get it to turn over so I don't think the battery is the problem. I will check the cables and starter. Anyone know a way to check the torque of the starter or does one just have to put a new one on if all else checks out OK?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your analysis may be (mostly) correct BUT if everything is up to snuff, it should NOT do what you are describing.

Something is causing the starter torque to be low......just low enough that it only fails under maximum strain.

Could be:
    Bad connection at one end of a main battery cable.
    Bad ground connection at the starter.
    Battery that is just a tad weak.
    Bad starter.
    Bad solenoid or relay.

If you haven't changed the battery in 3 years, I would start there.....and check the cables carefully at the same time. A new battery must be charged fully before installation.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good article......even if the C90 doesn't have one of those things.....does it ??

Last line:
    "The trick to working with decomp adjustment is to make sure that you really DON'T have a dead battery first!! " :mrgreen:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey CalFlyer, I've had the same problem on my "07" C90. Did not notice the cams when I changed the plugs but,,,I had posted the problem a week ago and had received the suggestion to try rocking the bike backwards in second gear the next time I had the problem. Well, it would not start a few days ago and I tried that and the bike emmediately fired. I'll have to try it one more time and if I get similiar results will have to take it in to the dealer "again" and let them know what I found out. Maybe the C90 has a different set-up for the decompression valve?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a common issue with our bikes. Easy fix so don't waste your time going to the stealership.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very common problem with our C90s. IF, when you do the "Suzuki Shuffle" ie; rocking it backwards it starts it's a sure bet you need to adjust the decomp cams. Easy adjustment with just basic tools. Check out: Decomp Valve Adjustment for GOOD detailed instructions. Had the same problem with my '05 C90 and this solved the problem!!! Good luck..... ride safe:bluethum:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the C90 and the 1500 LC have the same decomp system.

3 years and 7K???? Maybe that's the problem with the bike, not ridden enough. :mrgreen: I think I put on 7K this season by July.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

sometimes when the brushes on the starter are bad or worn and it is hot you will get the same symptoms when the bike is cool does it start

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information