Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Top 10 Most Important Albums To You

I have Roman Candle ranked as my second most important album also, which I must say I find odd because it's the Elliott Smith record most people usually rank last.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

@kelton - Good pick with Achilles Heel, its a fantastic album.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

These are 10 that have touched my life in various ways, and I became a huge music fan listening to these, in no order:

10)AC/DC-Back In Black
    9) Depeche Mode-Music For The Masses
    8) The Cure-Disintegration
    7) VH-VH
    6) KISS-Destroyer/Dynasty/Alive
    5) 3rd Bass-The Cactus Album
    4) Siouxsie and the Banshees-Hyaena
    3) Journey(all the Steve Perry stuff)
    2) Prince-1999
    1) The Smiths-Meat Is Murder

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It would be cool, if you say why each was important to you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Beatles-Revolver
    Perhaps it's an obvious choice for this sort of list, but it's my favorite Beatles album and it covers so many bases in 36 minutes that pop/rock music would spend the next forty-plus years covering.
    The Who-Quadrophenia
    For my money hardly anyone really gets teen angst the way Pete Townshend did on this double concept album.
    Pink Floyd-Animals
    Floyd recorded other albums that are more celebrated, but nothing more fierce sounding.
    Yes-Relayer
    They recruited Patrick Moraz on keys for this one and the results are kind of a frenzied, jaggedy Yes meets The Mahavishnu Orchestra orgy of sound.
    King Crimson-Red
    You wouldn't think that mixing prog, metal and jazz would especially work...Welcome to the world of Robert Fripp.
    Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
    Nothing to say except "Dude...It's Zeppelin!"
    U2-The Joshua Tree
    This is one of my favorite albums to play at the start of a road trip.
    David Bowie-Hunky Dory
    I could seriously listen to "Life On Mars" about six times in a row and not get tired of it.
    Marillion-Marbles
    This is an amazing album whose recording was innovatively bankrolled via fan preorders.
    R.E.M.-Life's Rich Pageant
    From start to finish I think this is their best.

GOdm this is so incrediably hard. at the moment....
    10. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins. The name says it all, best album to listen to when your depressed or whatnot. I dunno, i just really love it

9. The Jimi Hendrix Experinece Greates Hits. No, it's not an actuall album, but it has all their best songs, and it blows me aways every time, amazing guitar.

8.Viva Hate - Morrisey. First I ever heard of Morrissey, even before I heard of the Smiths, and it's still my favorite Morrissey album.

7.Bob Dylan Greatest Hits. No, not a real album again, but it still had all his greatest song, so I'll count it.

6.Ramomes - Ramones. First Ramones album I ever bought, and defiantly their best ever. Really got me into punk rock and all.

5.Wind In The Wires - Patrick Wolf. I belive this was the first album I heard from him, although I sadly have yet to buy the actuall CD. It killed all my predjuces against electronica/pop music, and opened my mind up a bit (I would have never dreamed of listeing to electronica before that album) and then I fell in love with Patrick Wolf as well

4.London Calling - The Clash. Greatest punk rock album ever. Period. Inspired me sooo much, it never ever seems to get old or boring, Absolutly amazing

3.Dookie - Green Day. I fell in love with this band after I got this album (years after it came out) First album I ever bought with my own, and was the first band I actually liked on my own, even though i absolutly despise them now.

and tied for first are....

Up The Bracket - The Libertines. One of my all-time favorite albums from one of my favorite banRAB. I loved the lyrics and the guitar melodies, and simplisticness of it, and then I fell in love with Pete Doherty
    or
    Im Wide Awake, It's morning - Bright Eyes. Simply for the songs Lua, Land Locked Blues, and Poison oak, which are all so simple, and yet beautiful, and lyrically amazing and inspriring.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh, my apologies.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

10. Tripping Daisy - I Am an Electric Firecracker
    i was very sheltered and naive growing up, and my musical tastes basically amounted to whatever my big brother listened to. this was the first album i went out and bought on my own. i felt like such a rebel because it was so very different from everything else i listened to. i actually picked it out based on the cover! i really don't like it anymore though.

9. The Beautiful South - 0898
    i just love it, plain and simple. i have all their albums, and this one definitely gets the most play. my first copy was a cassette my brother recorded for me when i was growing up.

8. Hooverphonic - Blue Wonder Power Milk
    my first trip-hop album and my introduction to the style. after i bought this, it stayed in my rotation for two years at least. i still love it.

7. Batman and Robin Soundtrack
    this (terrible) album introduced me to Soul Coughing, and by extension to Doughty's solo stuff. i'll never tire of his stuff, it's just fantastic.

6. Modest Mouse - Moon and Antarctica
    my first modest mouse album. i saw them for the first time during this tour. didn't know them at all, but went with a friend on his recommendation. ended up being one of the best gigs i'd ever seen, and they're now one of my top 5 banRAB.

5. Solesides Greatest Bumps
    first album from the Quannum crew. i got it because of my love for DJ Shadow, and it lead me into a world of hip hop i didn't know existed. very big influence on my current collection.

4. Pink Floyd - The Wall
    first floyd album. start of a long, loyal frenRABhip with some of the greatest music ever made.

3. Jawbreaker - Dear You
    this is my #2 album. i remeraber back in college listening to this one over and over while reading the lyrics book. now i know it by heart, but this album really taught me how incredibly meaningful (and crypitic!) lyrics can be.

2. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
    first shadow album. also, this was playing the first time i partook of the ganja. it has been my #1 album for more than 10 years.

1. Stealing Beauty Soundtrack
    strange choice for nuraber one, but this album has had the biggest impact on my musical tastes. i watched the film for Liv Tyler. then i fell in love with the music. it introduced me to Portishead, Hooverphonic, Mazzy Star, and Cocteau Twins, and is the seed for my love of all things trip-hop and downtempo.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't really got a top 10 and they're not necessarily my favourite albums of all time, but here they are;

The Strokes - Is This It
    This album blew my freaking mind. It's really awesome and got me into this whole indie rock scene. Plus The Strokes are like the coolest guys ever.

Slint - Spiderland
    This album is so important to me because it's one of the most sincere albums of all time.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    This man learned me that experimentation matters. In Rain Dogs, Waits uses the weirdest corabinations of instruments and makes it sound natural. Plus it kinda taught me that vocals aren't really as important as alot of people would like them to be. It's all about the delivery. So yeah, it changed my perspective on how music should sound.

BoarRAB of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
    Got me into IDM/Electronic music. One of the coolest albums ever.

1.Nirvana - Nevermind

Nirvana was a gateway for me to get into music, I owe them a lot. As a child i was always afraid of growing up and being a teenager, because I always thought teenagers were looked down upon and I certainly did not want that. After hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit I put all that behind me and I was hooked.
    For a while Nirvana was the only thing I would listen to and after getting more and more interested in them they really showed me what other kind of music was out there, mainly getting me into punk and I then became more open to a lot of music, like before I would dismiss anything labeled Pop.

Operation Ivy - Energy

These guys were truly punks with a purpose. This didn't really change me musically to much (besides me getting more into some ska) but socially. Listening to there lyrics it really hit me that fighting (physically) is stupid. I really genuinely thought about how in the world we live in we have to make consequences to some actions physical pain. Not saying fighting should be stop entirely but in my eyes it's stupid how a consequence for example talking behind someones back is "Getting your ass kicked". I just think that is wrong.
    Blink - 182 - Dude Ranch
    Yes, I know i put a blink 182 album on this, big deal. When i first listened to this album I really liked it but was erabarrassed to say I liked Blink 182. So for a while i kept it under wraps and then I really came to realize who gives a **** what other people think about my musical taste.
    Sublime - Self Titled

Brings me back to last summer staying up late outside with my frienRAB just listening to some carefree Sublime. It really is just good times music and lots of great memories happened while listening to this album. also helped me get more into ska and reggae.
    Wingnut Dishwashers Union - TowarRAB a World Without Dishwashers

An amazing human being, Pat The Bunny goes around the world preaching anarchism. He's homeless and lives in a van fueled by the donations he receives from shows only playing acoustic. This guy really showed me you can do whatever you put your mind to.

Weezer - Pinkerton
    To me Pinkerton was the In Utero to the Blue album. I think a lot of people are just afraid to say they listen to Weezer and I mean, I don't blame them, they are a nerdy Power Pop band. Pinkerton was much darker than the Blue Album and definitely deserves and unbiased listen.
    Flipper - Generic
    How can such a ****ty band be so appealing? I don't know wha it is but I love these guys. I love how they carry themselves around, with the I don't give a **** attitude. The great thing is they don't do it to try to be looked at as rebels, they just do what they want, not to be cool, but to have fun or pursue there beliefs.
    Circle Jerks - Group Sex

The first time I was exposed to Punk Rock.I remeraber wanting to check these guys out for a while but was to lazy to tackle my first punk rock band. I owe them for getting me into even more punk banRAB.

And that's all I can think of right now, an odd nuraber to end on but whatever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information