Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

"iSpin" Beta out as freeware Here:

I believe it was mhamann that found this originally . . . Freeware Palm has it this afternoon:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/ispin.shtml

1200k "exe" download (not a zip?!) - that troubled me but if anyone's intrested it seems like a heck of a launcher and it's free.

Might load it tonight if I hvae time./p

Just for giggles, you might try "unzipping" the exe file instead of running it--I've been able to do that when the file is a "self-extracting zip" .exe file. (Otherwise, have a spyware removal program ready... just in case.)

I recently downloaded the latest release of iSpin - but - stopped short of installing it on my PC / Palm. After reading information about iSpin on their web site, it indicates that the PC program is necessary to check for "updates" and requires internet access. Although not specifically saying "spyware", any program which is being offered for "free" and "requires" internet access makes me suspicious these days. (What! Me paranoid?)

The programs that I purchased (e.g. Docs to Go, Stock manager), have legitimate reasons for access, and a way to stop that access within the program. In Docs To Go you can set preferences to check or not check for updates. Stock Manager - if I want current stock quotes I know I need internet access, and I CAN disable the conduit to prevent this as well.

As for a "launcher", that should only control what is on the Palm, putting a required Internet connection seems to be a little overkill. I like the concept that iSpin is presenting, but I think I need more information than their web-site provides before I risk installing the package.

fnagle/Frank

And it isn't a self-extracting .exe. As Homestar Runner would say, "Baleeted!"

Here's the rabroad thread with not much more information.

http://discussion.rabroad.com/palmha...threadid=71281

Not interested in "conduits for updates;" WordSmith now installs the same nonsense called "Pocket Purchase," and getting that out of your registry and off your PC is like brain surgery.

No thanks! Too bad . . . might have been interesting.

Fnagle and Telyx: Yes, Baleeted!!

I spent some time and went to the iSpin web site to check a few things out. First of all there is a "users forum" at the site and quite a few messages about previous and current release. Seems there are still some bugs to be worked out even with 1.0 release (still beta). Additionally, the conduit it installs is for two purposes today - 1 - update information on iSpin and - 2 - to check for updates for the programs you have installed on your Palm.

I've previously installed TrackerDog, and removed it promptly when it continually reported I needed to update because my release was not equal to the current release. Happens that the release on my Palm was "greater - more recent" than what the program thought.

Since versions released versus programmers forgetting to update version numbers internally or at the web site will probably continue to be a problem, I could just picture iSpin reporting the same information incorrectly as the other programs.

I think if the conduit said it was just for checking for upgrades I may have given it a try (maybe not after having seen the bug reports still in version 1), but trying to be the source for upgrade information for the other programs on my Palm is taking it to a level I don't care to go.

I'll get down off my soap box now and go back to normal monitoring.

fnagle/Frank

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I downloaded Ispin. It's a neat concept but ewww. I like zlauncher better. One neat thing is that it sort of lets you multi task some what but not totally. Pretty much an illusion. Yuck.

My rating: **

No soapbox, Sir . . . . only facts. Thank you and Telyx for your cautions!

I'm a vehement "disliker and distruster" of "we'll do it for you software, including "upgrade finders." The only apps that I have search for an upgrade are Windows, SpyBot and Avast! -- anything else, I make a "Favorites" Folder under Palm for "Software upgrades Likely" and search when and if I want to.

Nothing "soapboxy" about giving everyone a lesson in privacy as well as lessening hotsync time and wasted space!!

I'm realizing "updates" can be a big pain if they don't really give you what you need and you're looking for the sake of "having the newest," anyway. I'm a big MobileDB4 fan . . . almost got their "MS Access Conduit," then this morning my girlfriend was both learning and teaching me "Access" at the same time . . . I discovered I can export an Access DBase to Excel Workbook, then save as CSV, import to MobileDB and it's done. Rather than 650k for a proggie called "Access Plus," or a "conduit" from Handmark, I can just use the old "CSV save."

Should I ever talk her into a Palm, that MobileDB can be exported to her address book and she won't have to enter everything. Just did the same for my Mom's "Sharp Wizard," which I'm having to PRY out of her hands to upgrade to a Palm.

Automatic updaters just clog up the river and invite spyware. Just launch my apps.

Oh oh . . . . TealLaunch appears to be talking to the toaster . . . . .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information