Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Sorry, was in a hurry, didn't read. But after reading it, I guess I can see where they're coming from. It's just that here where I live, nobody ever does that, so it struck me as odd that gays were being "silenced." Guess it happens in other places.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Well, we live in a relatively progressive state when it comes to the topic of homosexuality. One of the nice things about living in California.

"Day of Silence"

I'm quoting this just to bring a point:

In this country, there are few places homosexual men and woman can turn to to create a "union" with their significant other. And when they are even able to, the "union" is not seen equal to the "marriage" of a heterosexual couple.

In some places, gay and lesbian couples are jumped, beaten, and left for dead by random gay-bashers (no pun intended). In schools, some lesbian and gay couples are denied entry into prom.

No, you can't get married, and you can't dance together either. And if I see you walking down the street, I'm gonna give you a beatin' cause this is America and we dont like them gay queers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

NO U!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Homosexuality not covered up? Are you fucking joking? Are you gay? Please you do not have SHIT to understand what its like.

A situation such as fear of people, religion, the future, family and fucking everything you rely on to function is FUCKED over by sexuality.

Last time I checked homosexuals may or may not endure silence, but for the alternative to silence are things in society much better for them?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Thats because they are getting shot at by the feds.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Usually it was treated like the don't ask don't tell policy at my high school. I have to say we usually pushed social limits as guys wore dresses/skirts and gay couples were open about their views/relationships/etc. Some people cared about the potential of being infected by gayness (administration and other narrow-minded students) and others didn't because it wasn't a major concern (or cause for concern).

Generally, lesbians are criticized less harshly than gay guys, as male gender role rules are more strict. I don't think this is strictly a poor/rich issue as it is about social values and discrimination mixed with sheer ignorance.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Good for the Alliance to have that. I think that should be done more frequently.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

It is true that being rich allows you to exert your social ideals and values more readily, but it does not change the fact that your social ideals or values are the problem. If the rich parents were more liberal we wouldn't be having this conversation. Just because the parents happen to rich does not make them anti gay...their ultra conservative social values do though.

I can't speak on behalf of your school/community/etc. but usually change would require that you get various persons within the school and community to voice an objection to the "way things are". E.g.- teachers, parents, fellow students, gay, straight, poor, rich, middle class, male, female, etc. Find a peaceful and direct way to get your message across that allows for compromise. At my high school it started with student and individual demonstrations. This resulted in suspensions and detentions, but forced parents to get involved and question school policies. Sometimes it's about: What are you willing to do for a cause/idea?. It shouldn't have to be this drastic, but that's the world we live in.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Day of Silence"

Glad to see this thread has evolved from the clusterfuck-flamefest that it was two pages ago. Jesus.

Anyway, some people say I have no reason to be angry about this. I guess I'm just outraged by blatant hypocrisy. It's ridiculous to say you're not going to talk, yet still communicate. It's even more ridiculous to attempt to insult a person by calling them gay when you're trying to defend gays. It's the little things like that that imprint a subconscious hatred towards homosexuals into people's minds. It creates a negative connotation.

I do not think this makes tolerance for gays at all. I heard a lot of people talking about how much they hate gay people, or how stupid the thing was. My friend told me today that he hates gay people. He said that he doesn't want to associate himself with them. He won't talk to them. I asked him what he'd do if I was gay. He said he'd ignore me. Talk about loyalty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information