Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

small painful mobile lump in lower right back, right next to spine

I picked up an injury (from training for a marathon I think?) approx. 4 weeks ago, which caused me to be unable to walk on my right leg for a few days. An osteopath 'sorted me out' and I tried running again after a week. The same thing happened but this time it's lasted even longer and the pain is generating from my lower back (shooting pains and tingling down my right buttock and leg all the way to mid calf/shin). I've stopped all exercise and over this week a small mobile lump has formed in the area which is very painful to touch/press. Headaches seem more frequent (I've assumed stress as the marathon is in 5 weeks on Sunday!) Is this just herniated tissue? What can I do to take the pain away and cure it? Please help me!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You won't feel herniated tissue. How is your flexibility? Do you have a history of trauma to that area?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, thanks for responding. My flexibility is ok, there is some pain in movement, but stretching seems to help a great deal, but only temporarily. I've never had back problems before and I think it may stem from an injury in my leg/hip (over training, pronation problems etc.). I don't know what to do to make it better quickly (I'm doing the London Marathon at the end of this month!) - any advice please please please?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The shooting pain and tingling signals something nerve-related, in my opinion. Sounds very much like sciatica, especially since it's stemming from the butt and traveling down the leg...that sounds like classic sciatica. It's possible that you have a disc herniation or bulge and the nerve associated with that disc level is being pinched thus causing the shooting/tingling pain down through your butt and leg. The other possibility is piriformis syndrome...look it up. It certainly could be possible that your pronation issue played a role in this...possibly causing you to overcompensate in some way which may have thrown your back out of alignment. Have you seen a doctor yet? You may want to consider having an MRI done, as a normal x-ray will not detect disc herniations or bulges. As for your upcoming race...I'd be careful running with this type of condition...as it could make things worse. If you're not in any pain during your runs, then you'll probably be okay to race. But if it hurts while running...I'd be very cautious.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for your help and advice, I shall follow what you've suggested and see what transpires. Thank you again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information