Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

I am having no luck finding out what is causing this discomfort. It is not really pain; it feels like my liver and stomach (not tummy) are enlarged or swollen and pushing into my ribcage. I do get nausea on occassion and my appetite has been less than normal. No weight loss or vomiting, nor diarrhea or constipation. The feeling is always there, but there are days where it is very uncomfortable and laying down is the only way to relieve the pressure on my ribcage. I have tried keeping a food diary but nothing appears to be the culprit. (I am a former dietitian.) I had surgery last November to remove a severly infected ovary with a cyst--this is when it all started. I also had a D&C at the same time and have not had a period since. I believe I am in menopause--I am 52.
    I have seen 4 doctors about this and have had a CT scan of my abdomen, as well as xrays, EGD, colonoscopy, gallbladder (radioactive dye) test, liver function tests, complete blood panel and hormone tests. Everything has come back normal. No celiac disease. At least I know what I don't have! But I do still have the symptoms. I don't know what other tests there are to do. And I am starting to wonder if I will have to live with this--enjoying the good days and dealing with the bad days. It does get in the way of my living. I am staying as active as possible and do some yoga and deep breathing, as well as walking 2 miles 4 days a week. My job is low stress and I am happily married, with friends that I see regularly. I drink beer a little and eat a healthy diet. I sleep 8-9 hours daily.
    If you have any ideas, I sure would appreciate it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

A few questions... Is this bloating on one side or both of ribcage?? Do you feel relief after passing gas or a bowel movement??

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

No, this is not bloating, nor is it gas. Having a BM makes no difference. It feels more like an enlargement or swelling or the liver and/or stomach.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

So I'm assuming it feels like pushing against your ribcage? Is it on the right side?? Were you able to read the CT report?? The CT report will give actual measurments of your liver and stomach and determine if there is enlargement. Also, has any of the physicians ordered labs??

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

My father complained of some similar symptoms....had ultrsounds and x-rays of abdominal area....but he complained it seemed to be more on one side when lying down. Said it felt like a lump or mass, but nothing showed up on x ray. He went to doctors for over 8 months......ended up he had lung cancer. he spent 8 weeks at rehab after clots from lungs ended up in brain causing stroke....lung cancer was found on autopsy. He was at the world renowned clinic in MN for rehab and that is where he died and was autopsied.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

I am so sorry for your loss. But jeez--that is scary. Did he smoke or have exposure to other causes of lung cancer? My discomfort feels better when I lay down, but I will mention it to the doctor. Thanks.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

discomfort under ribcage

Thanks for your interest. The CT I had showed nothing unusual. I had Liver function labs and all the gallbladder tests out there. All were normal. I had a pelvic ultrasound today to rule-out ovarian cancer. I am seeing an Eastern medicine doctor next week. I just don't know what else to do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information