Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What.cd and Waffles ban Azureus and Deluge

Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    I'll be sure to stick it in the BT guides forum here when it's done
    I thank you for that. Already tried to install it on ubuntu 9.10 a couple of times and always had some problems. Can't remember now, but I suppose they were related to permissions or sth like that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The "excuse" they're giving is that a large chunk of the cheating they deal with comes from those two clients, and so they found themselves forced to ban them.

Personally I don't believe that you using rtorrent in console will make feel more man like they are saying
    Heh, that's subjective, yes. :P

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just posted it now. I ran it on debian but *in theory* it should work fine for ubuntu. The only real differences would be the occasional package name and default install directories.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
    without cheaters though, its certain that azureus would still be whitelisted. im massively in favour of open sourced software, its a shame that such software is so abused in this situation.
    I shake your hand. :yup:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[SPOILER]As staff on this tracker, one of our responsibilities is policing the swarms and making sure that everyone plays fair. Another related responsibility is the management of the client whitelist, to ensure that new clients are added as they're deemed safe, and old clients are removed as they're deemed irrelevant/problematic. On Monday the 22nd, we will be performing a significant set of changes to the client whitelist.

Deluge will be removed from the whitelist. After performing an analysis on our swarms, we found that over 4088 downloads, deluge downloaded, on average, 15.4% more data than the size of the torrent. As it is hard enough for users to maintain ratios already, we feel that it is a bad idea to allow deluge to make this situation worse. This change affects 1.3% of our userbase.

More importantly, all versions of azureus/vuze will be removed from the whitelist. This move is being made in conjunction with our friends over at waffles.fm. Vuze users, see below for instructions on how to easily transfer the .torrent files from Vuze to any other client.
    Vuze's twilight hour started approaching when they changed their name from Azureus and began to commercialize their already bloated client. Over the years, this caused its market share to shrink considerably in favour of uTorrent, rtorrent, and transmission. Its ease of modification by cheat client developers and habit of constantly reporting very low upload speeds when no one is downloading anything cause unnecessary headaches for the staff. Additionally, the notoriety of the vuze developers for disliking and refusing to cooperate with private tracker staff has only served to worsen the situation.

Vuze's market share has shrunken to 7.1% of our userbase. We are well aware that you 7.1% are still a lot of people - however, we feel that in the long run, you and the rest of the userbase will benefit if you change to a better client.

Our client recommendations are as follows:

Windows: uTorrent 2.x and uTorrent 1.8.x. There is a certain level of controversy surrounding the 'unfairness' of uTorrent 2.0's new protocol (uTP) in the private tracker community. Failing to find evidence of this unfairness ourselves, and seeing significant benefits to the adoption of uTP, we have decided to make uTorrent 2.0 our #1 recommended client - however, be aware that you may not be able to use this client on other trackers.

Mac: uTorrent Mac 0.9.x and Transmission 1.8.x. Both clients are excellent, and transmission has a very friendly and cooperative dev team. To create torrents, you can use the CreateTorrent dashboard widget or the mktorrent command line utility.

Linux: rtorrent 0.8.x, Transmission 1.8.x, KTorrent 3.x, and uTorrent in WINE. rtorrent is WhatMan's very fast personal favourite, and all hardcore linux users should be using it. There also exist numerous frontends for it, such as ntorrent, rutorrent and wTorrent, in case you aren't up to using the console like a man.

If you use deluge or vuze, we understand that this change may be inconvenient for you. We also understand that you may feel a great deal of rage right now, due to the loss of your traditional client which has no doubt treated you with loyalty for many years. However, we implore you to think of the long term benefits for the site and staff, and yourselves - you'll be surprised at what your system can do with the RAM that vuze isn't hogging anymore.

In order to make the transition easier, we have given all users the ability to download a zip file with all of their snatches - click [download] next to the 'Snatched' stat on your profile. This also means that all users now have access to the collector - a feature to download all torrents by an artist, in a collage, or in your bookmarks.

If you use Vuze, please follow these steps to export your client's .torrent files (and thanks to sonicsnare for kindly sharing this info!):

sonicsnare wrote:
    Make a new folder, select all torrents, right-click or option-click->advanced->export->torrent
    All your .torrent files are duplicated whether you had them or not.

We apologize for the short term inconvenience this will cause, and thank you for your cooperation.[/SPOILER]
    Source: What.cd

[SPOILER]Waffles and What.cd, over the course of several months, have discovered that Vuze and Deluge are primarily used by ratio cheaters. We are aware there's a handful of legitimate users, though, thus we are making this announcement. Effective Monday, both clients will be banned from both sites. You will not be banned from Waffles for using either program, but your ability to seed and leech will cease until you choose new torrent software.

For Windows, if for some reason you don't want

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    His custom title tempts users to go exploring. :dry:
    Custom title or not, people that want to cheat can simply google their way to that info, as with pretty much anything else.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Sorry for the delay, my proxy often pukes when submitting forms.

How can you compare my would-be double personalities when you don't even know "the anon at the cheating forum"? One would think you can't compare things when you don't know one of them, but I guess everything is indeed possible online.

Just in case you care, I have written about legit seeding and given tips a lot of times there, too. Even once wrote a long post on how one of our users, who wanted to actually seed and even upload his own material to a specific tracker, could do so, instead of just cheating.Needless to say, due to the very nature of my forum, you won't find me speaking about why I cheat or "the spirit of P2P" as much as I do here, of course. Only when the topic springs up. Which obviously isn't as often.
    Uhm, I didn't know that, that's true. But honestly if you're such a good guy, then why cheat in the first place? I'm sure that if you were just honest from the start (and maybe whine a little about your slow connection :lol, you would have been helped so much by now that you would not even need to think about cheating any time soon.

I hate hypocrisy. Speaking of the true spirit of filesharing at one point and then ignoring it when it benefits you (no matter in how hard of a spot you are) is just that.

PS: I don't cheat, never have and I did have big problems at the very start with keeping a 1:1 ratio at my first tracker, RevoTT (mind you, no bonus system there). Cheating has very little to do with having a slow connection. If that were true, no Romanian would cheat.

PPS: The connections are not as good as in Portugal, Hugo. :naughty:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm on a shaped line so I rarely, if almost never, use the Vuze mod nowadays. There are lots of other ways to do the same, anyway. Hell, Notepad, Telnet and a calculator are enough.

Thousands of honest and good Azureus users like myself have to suffer now, because you and your cheating friends in your shitty forum ruin it for all.
    Once again, the Vuze mod can spoof other clients. This move causes us pretty much no problems, while the "real" Vuze users are affected. Perhaps you should rethink who's really preventing you from using your favorite client.

Quote Originally Posted by ringhunter View Post
    uTorrent devs themselves have acknowledged there are problems associated with uTP and promised that they will be addressed in 2.0.1; this announcement was run by a uTorrent dev himself on a couple of private trackers I'm on.
    Thank you very much for this piece of info. Could you quote the announcement here?

Do people actually think there's no holes/problems with uTorrent? On the contrary. If someone wants to really cheat using uTorrent, I'm sure they will do it eventually.
    uTorrent is quite moddeable despite being closed-source, but the possibilities aren't endless because of that same fact. It's possible for a watchful tracker admin to analyze the way the mods send announces and code a script that can detect them - as a matter of fact, several ones have done so already.

Other clients or even standalone tools that don't connect to the peers but pose as uTorrent as a different deal.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brightsid View Post
    Personally I don't believe that you using rtorrent in console will make feel more man like they are saying
    I think that was meant as a joke bud :whistling

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Firon
    It works well for most people, but there are definitely cases where uTP performs poorly. We've already done some initial tweaks in the first 2.0.1 beta, but there's much more to do. It should perform better than 2.0 as-is, though, and have less overhead than 2.0 too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information