I have had a fish tank for about a year now and have never had a fish live longer than 5 weeks under my management. My tank appears to be an ordinary tank that is usually clean and never gets cloudy and there is never one point to where it gets dirty enough that the green algae is visible.

I was wondering how I could make my fish tank safer by reducing things such as Ammonia levels, Nitrate levels and unstable water temperatures. I recently learned that all my fish were dying because of invisible dangers in the tank. I did not understand why the fish in all other homes were not dying, just mine were dying.

Most of my fish just live for about 3 days after I bring them home from the store. I do not know what to do now, I feel like giving up. I have a 10 gallon tank that usually has 1-2 fish. I change 50% of the water every 2 weeks but have never changed my carbon filter since I bought the tank. I do not warm the water, it is just room temperature. I use standard gold fish. I feed my fish once per day.

Please give me some advice on how I can exceed the life expectancy on all of my fish.