Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ellen Page

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

I haven't been on this board that long so not entirely sure of the etiquette of just bringing up actors or actresses but I wanted to discuss Ellen. The main reason being is that I found Juno to be one of my favorite films of 2007 - I know it is no masterpiece but I really enjoyed it and can re-watch it over and over again and still enjoy it.

Thing is though a few people I have spoken to have heard of Ellen Page and though that Juno was her first film. I would then tell them about Hard Candy. Hard Candy is a odd film due the content and the subject matter and it is odd to say it is enjoyable because of the content matter but what amazes me is that someone so young could play such an extreme role and do it so well. She really brought something to that character that made it. I am not sure many could.

Films aside what do you think about her as an actress, do you think she is overrated? Do you think she should be in more films?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

I'd say the Hard Candy thing was more the fact that she looked young, when in fact she was quite old in real life.

She was great in that role.

Annoying as **** in Juno. She neeRAB to get away from the quirky / geek / fast talking midget roles she seems to be picking up.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

agreed!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

Adore Ellen Page, think she is fantastic. Loved her in Juno, first thing I actually saw her in, and she blew me away. Perfect mix of the emotional and moral stuff of pregnancy, and being hilarious.

I never actually saw it, but she was in a film called An American Crime. Don't think it got much publicity really, may have been a TV movie..but they say she was phenomenal in it. I'm hoping it will be released or something, but based on the trailer I do agree she seems to be brilliant in AAC.

If I'm honest, I think she's underrated. I do think she's a fantastic actress for her age (IIRC she's 22), and I'd say she has a bright future ahead of her.

In a nutshell; Ellen Page=love.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

It's not like she's broken the mould for a young actress in a extreme role. How about Natalie Portman in Leon? or Chloe Moretz in the recent Kick Ass movie? Plenty of others.... Lolita movies etc.

Also, looking young can keep actors playing similar roles for years and sometimes it can be a hinderance.
    How about Christina Ricci or Mena Suvari. They were well into their twenties and still playing teens. It's a hinderance as they may find it a problem being stereotyped so they go do indie movies to break out but they can always go back. Ricci has by playing young girls in hollywood childrens movies.

Ricci was on Norton's show last night and she still looks late teens. She's 30 this year

I remember looking up trivia about Suvari that when she was on the set of American Beauty she had to have her parents present for the nude scene. It was false trivia and has since been removed. She was infact around 19 when it was filmed. She's 31

Sorry to go slightly off topic

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

You should watch it online like i did as it doesnt look like it will be released here anytime soon

The film is very good, Ellen Page was excellent and i think its her best performance so far

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

To be honest I don't think this entirely off topic by any means. The freakiest thing I found was when American Beauty and American Pie were released.

When American Pie was brought out I was the right age to see it (16) so me and my mates went to see it and didn't think much of it.

When American Beauty came out I was too young to see it so I didn't get to watch it and never thought anything of it. It was only when I was old enough and I realised it was Suvari after going on IMDB to look up details about it and realised it was Suvari in both films. Not only that but that they were made in the same year... I was amazed... to see the same actress (all be it years later) of the same year playing two totally different roles.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

I believe that piece of trivia is actually about Thora Birch, who also has a nude scene in American Beauty and was 16/17 when it was shot.

Anyway. Found Page irritating in Juno. But I recommend Hard Candy. Not easy to watch, but very well acted.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

Still, if you watch the film I think Survari looks younger than Birch and had - how can I put it - heavier? sex scenes.

These days you see actresses in a role and you think it's a bit edgy until you look on IMDB and find out they are mid to late twenties and have done so much in their career that these roles are nothing new and not a challenge to them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ellen Page

Agreed. I do wonder if Katie Holmes would have got half the slating she did for the scene in "The Gift" if she hadn't been in Dawsons Creek and seeing her the way they did.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information