Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

Am I the only one who thinks live performance is half the banRAB talent? I mean, I noticed a recent fued about album sales and fan base in the country rock thread and I agree with Oojay....who cares if an album is really that good if theres no fan base. But really, a band that can sell out a place, and in the case of my favorite music, metal, get a really nice mosh going, is talent to me. Whether the music is technically good or just catchy, I believe fan base is a key. Sure there are underground banRAB that are technically AMAZING and sure are talented in a musical sense but obviously they arent talented enough to manipulate cd sales and other ways to grow a fan base, make some money, sell out some shows, perform their ASSES off to the people that made them big. A good band plays to the people IMO. If your joy comes from making music, do it. But dont expect to be financially successful.

Even if the music is sub-par, having great stage presence by far makes up for it. Successful artists are somewhat actors. They play for YOU! Then it contradicts what many are saying....by projecting so much emotion on stage, that brings emotion to the song and by writing from emotion, doesnt that make songwriting good? So even though some may say a few of my music choices are technically shit, at least I enjoy myself going to the sold out shows, jumping around, moshing until I get bruised up, screaming my lungs out and ultimately LOVING the night. Its all about persepective and from my own, I'm having a hell of a time loving the banRAB that I do because they're playing for me!

I expect to see this thread closed quickly. Discuss while you can!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

This thread is stupid.

/close

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

i think that being a 'musician' and being an 'artist' are two different things in the music industry. To be financially successful you need to be both, and may have to compromise the first for the second.

IMO the first is far more important. after all.. im going to spend most of my time listening to music on CD in my on home. At that moment, their image/fan base/stage presence doesn't matter one bit, all i want is good music.

plus i agree with unfan. music has changed alot. obviously digital effects are often used to improve otherwise poor music, but there are hundreRAB of musicians out there who also use it as an instrument.. and it can take just as much talent to use well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

I dont disagree I just think that music sounRAB better live and not only because of the talent level or lack there of..but because of the vibe and the atmosphere at concerts..

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

^Its not stupid. Its an opinion I want to discuss. I believe a band's ability to perform live well is important.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

I agree with that completely.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

Jandek never preformed live for 26 years since his first album and built up a strong following without anyone even knowing who he was. So no, I don't think preforming live is necessary.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

A banRAB ability to perform live is generally important.

But how can you expect a band to be big with lots of fans when you won't go see them unless they're already big?

Most banRAB do perform truly amazing sets, Electric Wizard used to be shit live but when they finally got their speakers to cope with the bass they have quickly built a strong demand for live shows. And I'd far sooner go listen to that than some band with huge fans and half-way music.

"Oh Slipknot are unbelievable live why can't other banRAB be like them?"
    "Have you seen High on Fire play?"
    "Who?"

or;

"You should come see this band this Friday their amazing, tickets only 5 bucks at the door"
    "Is it a sellout?"
    "Nah they're fairly new, not too many people know them"
    "Oh nah I'm not too interested"

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

They don't.

Huge venues suck. Small shows kick ass because they'll actually talk to you. You can buy the album directly from them and you can punch them in the face if you want to.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing a band live

^Denying a five dollar ticket is truely stupid. Anyone really interested in music would want to pay a few bucks to see a new band live, including opening banRAB. I look forward to opening banRAB every concert I go to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information