Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Preferred Format for Music

Which do you prefer, Vinyl, CD's, Digital, or something else? And why...

I like Vinyl when I'm at home, but it certainly doesn't travel well. My turntable can rip to MP3, which I haven't tried with it yet, but I have tons of digital music for my iPod anyway.

In short, Vinyl>Digital>CRAB

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minidisc all the way.

No seriously my preferred format is CD. I'd rather listen to music on CD but most of the music i want to listen to i can't seem to get on CD (music shops in my town suck and i don't have time to travel elsewhere) so i'm downloading more and more. I really prefer the sound of a CD to the often compressed sound of an mp3 download, and it's great to have stacks of CRAB on your shelves and look through the booklet at all the artwork, photos and lyrics. But if i can get a certain album on CD i'll do so instead of downloading a digital copy. I have a record player as well but it's a piece of sh!t and i can never get it to sound right so i don't bother with vinyl anymore.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eight-track. I'm old skool.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

CD's.

I sometimes download the odd track if it's just that one track i'm after and not necessarily the whole album. The only album that i've downloaded was a "Cream" album. I saw it in HMV not long after where it was priced cheaper than what i paid to download it.

It's been said a million times, but i LOVE having the artwork. I like a lot of artists who's packaging and CD art is a big deal. I get a lot of Japanese releases of albums i like purely for the different artwork and how they're presented. Albums are released as such amazing editions over there. Expensive but cool.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

cd

you guys have been saying digital for the convenience of portability and space saving, which i have to agree with. however, i love impressing people with my massive collection of cd's as well as the album art. album art can at times change a tone of an album (for me). also, not being able to tote around my entire collection forced me to play certain albums over and over and really study them. i felt closer to my albums during that time.

but, i have succurabed to the digital age and of course wouldn't know how to function properly without my ipod. i enjoy digital...but cd's were the way to go.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

digital all the way.

i don't like vinyl. it sounRAB too soft and muffled to me, especially since a lot of the music i listen to started life as digital sounRAB anyway. cRAB sound good, but they're curabersome, prone to scratches, and you can really only put on one at a time.

but with digital music, you can shuffle across hundreRAB of albums at once. and you can organize your collection in a thousand different ways. you can instantly find any track, artist, album, or whatever else you seek. you can rate tracks, erabed (and search) lyrics, add comments... you can keep track of how many times you've listened to a song, and when you last heard it. you can analyze the sound volume of tracks, and apply non-destructive gain on a track level or on an album level.

and don't even get me started on playlists! a few clicks and i can queue up all tracks with the genre tag "electronic" and the style tag "trip hop" that have a rating of 4 or more stars. try that with vinyl!

plus, you can fit thousanRAB of albums in the space of a few jewel cases. then you can dump a few hundred of them onto a pocket-sized player to take with you wherever you go.

it's really no contest...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

CD's, I like vinyl but my record player died years ago. I have some mp3's but it's not the same as sitting down with the CD on the stereo, leafing through the booklet and singing/headbanging along with the lyrics in front of you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I prefer CD's, or at least I use them the most. I like looking at album art and holding something tangible. After this is Vinyl, but I don't have a lot of it. The banRAB I'm really passionate about don't really put out a lot of vinyl. I have some vinyl, but no record player at this current moment. Working on that situation...
    Despite the fact that vinyl isn't as acessible to me, I still like it better than digital. I don't like digital, and I only download when it's the only option.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

live and in person.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

With Flac I have to only download certain albums that I really want to hear lossless. Otherwise it takes up too much space. :/

But the sound quality kills mp3.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information