Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    charlie

What is the penalty for a mechanic stealing my house keys?

I took my car to get an oil change & when the work was finished i noticed the mechanic took the house keys off my key ring only giving me the ignition key. Also my daughters photo was missing from my visor so I filed a police report & 6 hrs later the cop took the keys to my house. The cop says that the mechanic told him that he found the keys in the bathroom eventhough i did not use the bathroom, obviously he planted them because he felt guilty & could not burglarize my home since i reported him, now if i file charges what will his penalty be?

FlingerShock
    theft charges and prison time.

Stuart
    At this point, the only charge you could file would be petty theft - for stealing the keys and the photo.

And, you cannot prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was the one who did it.

What you can do is publish an ad in the newspaper saying that after this mechanic worked on your car, your house keys and daughter's picture mysteriously ended up in the bathroom at the garage. (Do not say that the mechanic was the one who did it...he can charge you with libel if you do.)

If he was found guilty of the petty theft, it's likely that he'd face a small fine.

I don't think you have much of a case here. sorry.

- Stuart

Bud
    He made copies of the keys, because they make keys at the shop where you were. Now he has keys and he likes the looks of your daughter.

So there is no penalty for him. He is free to commit a crime. You can buy new locks for the house.

lucy lou
    well, you should got that found the cop---apparenlty he can't prove he took them on purpose

Fredric J
    im guessing 2-3 years

Gerry
    I like the answer given to you by Stuart but don’t put anything in the Newspaper like said (I’ll explain why later). However as Stuart indicated, it would be a very difficult case to prove. Now, if there were any security cameras around or someone who witnessed the mechanic taking your house keys and photo, then he could probably be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for petty theft. You can definitely write up an article and place it in the newspaper however; I would not recommend it because he may come after you. And who knows what this person is capable of. He already had the intent to break into your home; why else would he have your house keys. He had pictures of your daughter’s photo!!!! The acts of this individual are bit creepy. I would try to file charges against him for petty theft and I believe that is the best action of recourse. Now, keep in mind, if he is charged with a misdemeanor, he is looking at the possibility of prison time, at least a year or two.

Gerry
    I like the answer given to you by Stuart but don’t put anything in the Newspaper like said (I’ll explain why later). However as Stuart indicated, it would be a very difficult case to prove. Now, if there were any security cameras around or someone who witnessed the mechanic taking your house keys and photo, then he could probably be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for petty theft. You can definitely write up an article and place it in the newspaper however; I would not recommend it because he may come after you. And who knows what this person is capable of. He already had the intent to break into your home; why else would he have your house keys. He had pictures of your daughter’s photo!!!! The acts of this individual are bit creepy. I would try to file charges against him for petty theft and I believe that is the best action of recourse. Now, keep in mind, if he is charged with a misdemeanor, he is looking at the possibility of prison time, at least a year or two.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information